Not sure what's right, thoughts welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hello guys,
I have been put in a weird situation and could use some "smarting" advice. I work for a vet, who by default has become the 'exotic' vet in town. So we do end up seeing quite a few exotics. I seem to be the one they defer to for many of the reptiles, and have ended up over the years taking some leftovers,(no offense intended) I have never took one and not educated myself about the species and many times have just ended up fostering them till the right home comes along. And many I have just kept them.
Ok you know where this is headed. Someone got my name and called the clinic and needs to "get rid of "(hate that) a sulcata. She doesn't live close so I have not seen it. I seem to be her last hope and is bringing to the shelter if I don't take it.
Now I know this is a huge commitment, and it's not to be taken lightly, but I also know the enviormental cop that deals with this shelter and they don't care who they give the to, or they will euthanize it. Do I take it and hope that I may find someone who will take it? Do I take on another? I have the space outside and we are intending to upgrade the yard. I could surround it I think with cinderblocks,but what about inside? Can they stay in a kids pool for the winter?, for awhile I think, she said he was about 4 lbs, whatever that means. How long does it take for them to reach an unmanageable size. Please compare a full grown one to a leopard.
Does anyone have an interest.????
Thanks for any and all input.
Na

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am not sure how long it takes to get to a unmanagable size for inside.. Sorry, but I would think at 4lbs it could live in a kiddie pool inside for a while. I don't know where you are located, but if you want I could bring it here, it is warm most of the year, except a few months, and eventually I will have more land and I will build a heated shed for them to hang out on days they do not want to go out. Or they can hang inside, we are going to build a house when I am close to being done w/ school, then we are going to build a big tort room in the house. I can't wait. Let me know, good luck with the guy/gal.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
A kiddie pool would be a good size for a 4lb tort. I currently have mine in a rather large stock tank. It is the size of a large hot tub. This will be the last year to be able to use it but you probably have a bit of time. Good luck with whatever you decide!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Na if you do decide to take it in and decide not to keep it, I do have a friend near Myrtle Beach, SC that does Sulcata rescue and placement. He usually pays shipping to get them down there. Let me know if you need his contact info.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Thanks guys. I thought for sure the majority would reccommend to think hard and fast about taking on another. But...
I was wrong, seems you all would be hemming about a rescue.
I knew they couldn't get so big overnight, but not having seen this one. She hasn't gotten back to me yet, so things are really up in the air.
Anja, I love that you have a friend in SC, my best friend lives there and she usually comes up to Ma. at least yearly. So if in the future>>>nice to maybe have a out. And you to Jan, thanks so much for the offer. Not sure where you are. Maybe when/if I get this one we can PM?
Again thanks for the support!
NA

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Haven't you yet learned we are almost all big suckers for anything with a shell?:D:D We might tell you to wait a sec and think, if you were going to go out and buy one just to buy one. Rescues are an entirely different thing. Sometimes you just have to stop and help one along and then think things thru more clearly once it's safe and sound. Nice thing is, there is normally somebody willing to take in just about any tort in need if the first rescuer can't keep the animal.

So when are you getting it?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.