Not sure if fungus or just like a weird birthmark type thing.

zbarry

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hopefully someone out there might be able to help me out even tho the turtle isnt on the species list. But I have a Ornate Wood Turtle that I have recent got from a trade show and she has a weird spot on the bottom of her shell and she has some white ish lines on her back. I've had her for like 2 weeks now and although the spot on the bottom hasnt changed at all and the lines haven't either i still just want to make sure it's not anything bad. I have the spots on the bottom marked with blue arrows. I'm still working on her setup but right now her setup is 4ft by 3ft and I know I have to get a bigger setup and I'm planning on it. She is also currently in cypress mulch but Im thinking of maybe trying reptobark or ecoearth. Then lastly she has a large water dish to go into and a UVB UVA mercury vapor 80 watt bulb. If anyone might have any advice on what the spot or the white lines are it will be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

20200110_221003.jpg 20200110_223650.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Let me guess, Repticon? I was just there last weekend and lots of vendors had these. The spot on the plastron isn't fungus. I wouldn't worry about it. I suspect they're wild caught and what your seeing is just from normal wear and tear.

zbarry

Ohio
Let me guess, Repticon? I was just there last weekend and lots of vendors had these. The spot on the plastron isn't fungus. I wouldn't worry about it. I suspect they're wild caught and what your seeing is just from normal wear and tear.

It was at the Cleveland reptile show and swap, and thanks for let me know it's nothing serious.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It was at the Cleveland reptile show and swap, and thanks for let me know it's nothing serious.
No problem, I came close to purchasing a group myself. I've always been a fanOf this species. I think they're really cool. Gluck with your new buddy.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Hopefully someone out there might be able to help me out even tho the turtle isnt on the species list. But I have a Ornate Wood Turtle that I have recent got from a trade show and she has a weird spot on the bottom of her shell and she has some white ish lines on her back. I've had her for like 2 weeks now and although the spot on the bottom hasnt changed at all and the lines haven't either i still just want to make sure it's not anything bad. I have the spots on the bottom marked with blue arrows. I'm still working on her setup but right now her setup is 4ft by 3ft and I know I have to get a bigger setup and I'm planning on it. She is also currently in cypress mulch but Im thinking of maybe trying reptobark or ecoearth. Then lastly she has a large water dish to go into and a UVB UVA mercury vapor 80 watt bulb. If anyone might have any advice on what the spot or the white lines are it will be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

View attachment 284768 View attachment 284769
The white lines look to be just a little salt from your water. After soaking, use a soft toothbrush and very gently brush around all the scutes. Our girl loves the toothbrush. I use it around her mouth after she eats, too.