Not sure if deformed foot or just needs to be trimmed

fritz269

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hey all,
So I have a baby three toed box and I was looking at his hind feet the other day and noticed that they look a little deformed. I have looked online and cant really tell if its normal or just something that is abnormal with him. Also, I noticed the front have really long nails but I know they like to dig so should I trim those or just let them grow out? Heres a few pictures and you all can prob help me figure this out.
IMG_20140731_144538135.jpg IMG_20140731_144911258.jpg IMG_20140731_144919222.jpg IMG_20140731_144926970.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Does this little guy get any UV? From the sun or maybe artificial lighting?
What about calcium in the diet?

The photos look blurry on my phone but I've seen 3toes with curly, deformed back feet diagnosed with MBD.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Agree. The nails and beak are really long too.
Where is he housed?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Deformed feet can be a result of walking on the wrong substrate. What are you using Nd how are you keeping him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When a very young box turtle isn't getting the proper nourishment/vitamins/etc. and calcium/UVB, the first sign that something's wrong is curly nails. This baby needs supplemental calcium plus UVB or vitamin d3

It was very astute of you to notice this. Most people don't realize that something's wrong when they see curly nails.

Can you take a picture of the baby's habitat and also tell us what you're feeding him?

(Another indicator is a hard spot on the top of the head)

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

fritz269

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
hey guys. Thanks for the reply. I think I have multiple problems. What I thought was a uvb light is not, I will be getting one on Monday. Second, I have been feeding him/her mealworms as I have not been able to get him to eat anything else. As for substrate, I use potting soil that does not contain any chemicals or those little white things. I know I need to get him a bigger tank and take him out more often as the day I noticed the nails he really seamed to enjoy that. I will post a picture a bit later of my set up but I do plan on getting something bigger. I noticed because I have owned a turtle or two before.

chazd1984

Is that a box turtle? I don't see a hinge anywhere. I'm more used to EBTs here but that doesn't look like a boxie'e shell to me.

fritz269

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Its a three toed box turtle. I have nothing to suspect otherwise. I will post more pictures later.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is that a box turtle? I don't see a hinge anywhere. I'm more used to EBTs here but that doesn't look like a boxie'e shell to me.

Young box turtles don't develop a hinge until they're over a year.