Not sure about the tortoises at this pet store...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
There's a kinda questionable pet store near me, I have stopped in once or twice and their enclosure set ups are a bit off. Not filthy at least, but, well, see the attachment. There are at least five tortoises in there, in a hot dry enclosure, no places to hide or anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not a good idea to keep tortoises of different sizes and species together, right? I don't know all the species (the owner said one was a Hermann's but couldn't remember the others) I just know the little ones are red foots and they should be in a more humid environment. The one little one on the left was totally blocked in the corner by the big one, right under a heat light!

I tried bringing it up with the manager but she was really condescending and didn't think it was a problem at all :T Am I overreacting or is this something that needs correcting?

Attachments

• IMG_20130305_143719_790.jpg
    IMG_20130305_143719_790.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 143

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Definitely not a good scene. The two largest tortoises in the photo are Leopard tortoises, the two darker ones are Redfoots and the other two way in the back corners that are semi buried appear to probably be Greek subspecies. Regardless, a group of tortoises with some very different environmental and dietary requirements! And crowded!

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
You are right they shouldn't be kept like this, sad to see, pet shops should be setting a good example other wise people buying them who don't know much about tortoise will think its ok :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You do have a right to be concerned here. I would approach the owner again. Let them know what kind of tortoises they are and have a care sheet already printed out on each one. If you do this, and even throw in some care ideas off the top of your head, she/he might figure you know what your talking about and listen better. Then offer to help them understand the different environments they need and that they should not be together. If they don't have the space to house each species separate, then suggest they at least house the larger ones separate from the smaller ones. Also let them know they need water 24/7 and hides to hide in. If they blow you off and do not make any changes, contact an animal neglect/abuse source in your area or even a reptile club to help you out. Please keep trying though. The tortoises can't talk for themselves. Be as nice and kind about it and they will most likely do something. Just act like you know what your talking about, even if you don't. Read up on the forum first if you have to. You can also refer them to the forum.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
How horrible for those poor torts. I hope you follow up with this; whoever the owner of this store is, he or she is certainly clueless.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
Simply talking calmly and having important things to say really does make a difference I talked to the manager at a petco near me and they changed the substrate added a hide and a water dish. Granted I wish they did more but at least they listened.

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Maryland
yeah I'll probably go back in a week or so and see if she changed anything. Urgh, I am so bad at confronting people but I'll try x_x (though I think she decided to totally disregard me when I asked if one of the tortoises was a sulcata. She just got a super smug look. But then she couldn't even name all the species herself so...)

She also houses multiple large boas together in the same enclosure, none of the snakes have hides, and the rats are crammed together in tiny, bare aquariums (even though they're probably feeders, it's no excuse...)

It's a shame because their fish selection is very nice and well taken care of...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Take not now of the kind that are in there. Also, read up in some of the important info on each. When you can rattle out some important info and show that you do know what your talking about, even if you have to fake it, we won't tell, they should listen. I understand it might not be comfortable for you to do. I hear ya, I'm not one to confront either. I can go from 0 to 100 if I get really mad, then I can't get the important stuff out. Just inform yourself before you go and you will have the confidence to do this. You will be standing up for a living thing that can't do it for themselves. If there are no changes made for them. It won't be because you didn't give it your all. You can do it. We all are behind you and will help you out anyway we can. Keep us informed. Most everyone that has had to do it, has had success.

Status
Not open for further replies.