Not quite Turtle Wax, looking for barter ....

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello,

When we found our new house a few years ago, I was pleased to find a second kitchen down by my office ... when I'm not writing, I cook, and experiment, in what I've dubbed the SmartPig Laboratory.

IMG_7021.jpg

Most of my experiments are food or drink related, and many end up becoming gifts at this time of year to clear space for next year's products.

IMG_7198.jpg

When I got Darwin, my redfoot, I fell in love immediately, and spend a ridiculous amount of time on his meals ... also on his health and appearance.

To that end, I made up a batch of shell balm/oil that seems to do wonders (or at least no harm) to his carapace. I apply it once or twice a week after soaking ... the pic above shows him a few days after this past weekend's application.

IMG_7022.jpg

They're two ounce metal containers, and based on our consumption rate, that may be a decade's supply (possibly less if you have a large tortoise).

I'd love to trade some excess cans I have for something tortoise-y that you have and would be willing to send me in exchange ... cool food items, some neat thing for the enclosure, a useful tool for grooming or first-aid, etc.

If you're interested, get in touch with me and let's make something fun happen for our tortoises in time for Christmas (or whatever seasonal holiday you observe).

Thanks,

Jamie

Aldotj

5 Year Member
San Diego,CA
I have three cherry heads. Do you sell it? Website? How old is Darwin? Do you just put it only on the shell?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I have three cherry heads. Do you sell it? Website? How old is Darwin? Do you just put it only on the shell?

Darwin's about five months.

I put it on Darwin's shell once a week.

I'd be happy to sell, or trade for, it.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Then I'd be happy to send you a can in exchange for postage and a buck ... not looking to make money, just not lose much.

If interested, you can email and PayPal me at [email protected]

Jamie

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I have two tortises. A small western hermann and a 15 year old leopard. I would like to trade this stone tortoise for 2 cans? The stone tortoise head is glued on so if not I will pay for them just let me know how much. Thanks

IMG_20190106_141250.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I have two tortises. A small western hermann and a 15 year old leopard. I would like to trade this stone tortoise for 2 cans? The stone tortoise head is glued on so if not I will pay for them just let me know how much. Thanks

View attachment 261527

Sounds great, PM me your address and I'll send it out.

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Is Darwin a Northern or a Cherry head? He's got great color!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I would love some. I have six Rose of Sharon seeds I could send you. I haven’t tried planting any yet but hopefully you can.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have a handmade oak shelf- small designed to display 5 shot glasses I would trade for a tin. Used to display zoo shot glasses years ago

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I have a handmade oak shelf- small designed to display 5 shot glasses I would trade for a tin. Used to display zoo shot glasses years ago

Love to... Pm me your address and I'll send it out when I get home on Saturday.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
No problem ... If you pm me your email and snail mail address, I'll send you a PayPal invoice.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I sent out the packages this morning ... everyone who sent me their address should have their shell-oil by the end of the week.

Jamie

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I sent out the packages this morning ... everyone who sent me their address should have their shell-oil by the end of the week.

Jamie
Thanks. I have your seeds in an envelope ready to go out when I find my stamps. It’s been ready for three days.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm so glad that the pomade got to everyone, and that your torts are happy and shiny with it!

View attachment 263867

I treat Darwin's carapace once a week, and think it's helping him grow and flourish.

Jamie