Not Hibernating

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Concord, CA
Here it is almost January, freezing temps @ night. My one male marginata gets up almost every day & sits in the doorway of his enclosure.

I have heard that Marginatas sometimes do this, but its the first time any of mine have done it. His weight feels fine, & his system is cleared out.

My tortoises usually come out of hibernation mid Feb. I can time it by when my flowering peach tree blooms, every year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The weather here has been crazy. I was driving in town yesterday and noticed that quite a few trees were still holding onto their leaves...yellow, but not fallen. And then I saw a fruit tree in full bloom! And today one of my little outside box turtles was on top of the mulch pile they sleep under. It was frosty last night, but sunny today. Global warming!!!

Yvonne

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA

Hi Yvonne,
I'm curious where you are. My fruitless mulberries still have some leafs on them. The fruit tree buds are swelling a little. Looks like an early spring this year.
Where I live almond is usually the first to bloom.​

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
KQ6AR said:

Hi Yvonne,
I'm curious where you are. My fruitless mulberries still have some leafs on them. The fruit tree buds are swelling a little. Looks like an early spring this year.
Where I live almond is usually the first to bloom.​

I live in Clovis, CA...that's a small cowboy-type town just to the east of Fresno. I'm directly across the street from a large almond orchard and while the trees have buds, they haven't opened yet.

Yvonne

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Thanks,
I thought you had to be south of me.
Concord is in the SF bay area.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.