Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was taking pictures this a.m. and took a couple of Bo and So. I'm still trying to figure out how to take clear close-ups. I really don't think its the camera, I think its the loose nut behind the wheel. So, here's Bo:

Bo1-27-11.jpg

And So:

So1-27-11.jpg

Notice the tears. The weather right now in Clovis, CA is foggy with zero visibility. The airport is closed. Its 100% humidity. Wouldn't you think that the air would be humid enough for the tortoises? Guess I'll have to invest in a humidifier. That means plugging in another appliance. I'll never get ahead of this electricity usage.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
those are pretty good pictures Yvonne (the detail and photo taking aspects). It doesn't look like they were in any mood to ''pose'' for you anyway.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
We frequently have 100 % humidity outside as well, Yvonne, trouble is that doesn't really help much. Its also usually only about 40 degrees. By the time I heat that outside air up to 80 its down to 25% humidity. Cold air just doesn't hold much water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sulcatas only tear up like that when its really hot. Over 100 degrees. I always assumed it was a cooling mechanism. They never tear up because of dryness. I wonder if they'd like it to be cooler in the shed. I know nothing about aldabs. Just sharing an observation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You may be right, Tom. The weather here has been pretty warm compared to normal winter temps, and I have neglected to turn down the thermostat on the pig blankets. I'll go do that now.

mike1011

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne, in my observation with them they will tear like that if their core temp gets high which can happen on a pig blanket even if the ambient temp is low. I would recommend putting the pig blanket on a rheostat to control the pig blankets max. temp. I find it has everything to do with aldabs core temp and not the humidity. Bo's sitting on the blanket is heating his core temp up causing the eyes to water. If you would like to rule out the humidity thing, apply genteal eye gel(over the counter at any drugstore) to his eyes, it just a dry-eye relieve. if the watering stops, its from humidity, if not his core temp is getting high.

forgot to mention, great pics!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have the pig blankets on a controller. It goes from 1 to 9. Usually during our coldest part of winter, I have it dialed up to 7 in order for the pad to be around 85. I used to check the pads every day with a point and click temp gun, but I haven't checked them this year. I just dial the # from memory of previous winters. Shouldn't do that, I know. Check it every day!

I appreciate the suggestions. This is the first time I've noticed the tears and it was only about 42 last night.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Tears can be from dry air.......Its just a mechanism to keep the eyes moist when they are active, otherwise when in-active, they keep them shut but you can still tell the eyes are dryer than what they should be........

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I thought those were great pics. With my camera I have to push the button that takes the pic half way down to focus it and then all the way down to take the pic. So I thought this might be true for your camera too.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I tend to think it is dry air. Ours display similar, but never bubbles, when they are under heat during very cold nights. We heat from the top down with heat bulbs. Notice the temp is 70's even under heat and the female in the rear has a clear watery eye. I notice once they leave the heated barnes the eyes clear up very fast.

2i7x1n8.jpg

5o8d8p.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
OK, I found the picture. This is our heat barnes (8x10), double/overlaping 2x8/10, etc. with thermal barriers. The heat source is four 250W red heat bulbs on the top, high enough that no way a tort can touch them. I know of terrible circumstances with other keepers regarding to stand alone heaters and pig blankets. Just my opinion, they thermal regulate, I figure heat from the top is better. This has worked for us great, I used to have one hugh one, now I prefer two smaller ones. The males tend not to respect the females sizes, lol.

2ly537s.jpg

mike1011

5 Year Member
In a case like yours Greg I agree, that type of heat will dry things(like eyes), but with pig blankets and belly heat I firmly believe the tort is overheating. And as always, cool pics Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.