not eating, underweight?

maddie.hawks

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton, London
hi guys, titch hasn’t been eating much for a while, not sure how much he is meant to eat but we give him A variety of food every day and he never eats it. We do you let him basket in the Sun every day so he may eat some food while he’s out there however there is no food that I know of so he will be eating plantA variety of food every day and he never eats it. We do you let him bask in the Sun every day so he may eat some food while he’s out there however there is no food that I know of. I am not sure if he’s ill but I haven’t see him poop in a long time. it might be him pooping while he’s outside basking however I do you search the area where he has been and I haven’t seen anything and I’m a little bit concerned as he has not been eating much and when we first got him in March he ever a lot all the way until June July and since then he rarely eats a lot and we are just a bit concerned but he does drink as we have just given him a bath and a soak and he has been drinking water it could be him trying to settle down for hibernation however I feel like July is too early for tortoises to try and get themselves into hibernation it also could be that he has had a change of scenery and area as he used to live up north in Gloucester in the UK however he lives in London now with us. if anyone could help with why he doesn’t eat much and if he looks underweight or ill it would be very helpful!
from maddie!482CCD62-E017-4CC5-9A9F-C9198316C630.jpeg

Attachments

• 9062EA39-B09D-4A94-BB7A-0F5D035293B5.jpeg
    9062EA39-B09D-4A94-BB7A-0F5D035293B5.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 7

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Wekcome.... tortoise need heat to eat and this time of year the UK sun has lost alot of heat and the ground is cold. Sugggest we find out on here what breed of tortoise you have and then a care sheet can be shared. Titch will need an indoor warm enclosure throughout winter if this is already in place then please share pics and the lights and heat and substrate.

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
Wekcome.... tortoise need heat to eat and this time of year the UK sun has lost alot of heat and the ground is cold. Sugggest we find out on here what breed of tortoise you have and then a care sheet can be shared. Titch will need an indoor warm enclosure throughout winter if this is already in place then please share pics and the lights and heat and substrate.
hiya, titch is a greek male tortoise and he has an enclosure in our living room, in there it’s about 21°c, however we only keep him in there from about 7 pm to 9 am and for the whole day he walks around in our garden all day from one end of our garden to the other. he has lived outside for 45 years at my nans house and she only ever brought him inside when it was getting frosty outside or to hibernate him, so to be honest he is used to being cold, however i am trying to be a good owner (not saying my nan wasn’t as she had him for 45 years +) and plenty of other tortoises in her life, and he is used to be outside all year round and only being brought inside in october. and back outside in march. she wasn’t a technology person so she would’ve had no idea there was this much to owning a tortoise! sorry it’s so long just wanted to include the details!
from maddie

btw we have a big outdoor enclosure that he lives in during the summer and this is his temporary indoor one i have just made as it’s colder than expected!

Attachments

• 42930443-CCAE-4D02-AAF8-71748249823A.png
    42930443-CCAE-4D02-AAF8-71748249823A.png
    397.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 3EE7CCC5-9020-48E5-B4D2-74097AFC3064.jpeg
    3EE7CCC5-9020-48E5-B4D2-74097AFC3064.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5