Not eating much. Need some advice!

baker27

5 Year Member
Gus my 5 yr old Greek Tortoise seems to not be interested in eating much lately. He hasn't been able to go outside in a couple of weeks now since it's just been to cool here in Ct. I've kept his enclosure warm 95-100 in basking area and about 75-80 on cool side. I've been soaking him every other day for fear he might dehydrate. Humidity is about 60%. I gave him a bit of pumpkin on his greens which ate right up but didn't touch much of the greens. He wouldn't even touch his mazuri. He's only pooping very little every few days. Still very active. He has been pacing his enclosure like he wants out of there but settles down by midday. Is this common this time of the year?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Gus my 5 yr old Greek Tortoise seems to not be interested in eating much lately. He hasn't been able to go outside in a couple of weeks now since it's just been to cool here in Ct. I've kept his enclosure warm 95-100 in basking area and about 75-80 on cool side. I've been soaking him every other day for fear he might dehydrate. Humidity is about 60%. I gave him a bit of pumpkin on his greens which ate right up but didn't touch much of the greens. He wouldn't even touch his mazuri. He's only pooping very little every few days. Still very active. He has been pacing his enclosure like he wants out of there but settles down by midday. Is this common this time of the year?
I don't know what temps etc is for a Greek.
But I would expect if you have brought him inside he will need to adjust for a while. Torts can go quite a long time without eating. One of my redfoots has done the same, for 2 wks she's been docile and not eating as much. (Since I brought them indoors) She is now after 2wks starting to come around a bit.
They can act strange when the weather is changing and the fact they have gone from the great outdoors to an indoor enclosure. Keep an eye on him.

This will bump you back to the top for some help :D

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I always find my horsfield eats less around this time of year. Iv started not to worry so much now, as I reasoned that as long as he's eating something, kept well hydrated, going to the toilet, and reasonably active that he is healthy. And I keep an eye on his weight as long as he's not losing a lot, just small fluctuations. Also because of the weather with me, being too cold, iv found when I change him into his winter enclosure (where I can keep the temps as they should be) he usually takes a couple of weeks to properly adjust.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tidgy is a five year old Greek tortoise too!!!!
Yes, I am having the same problem as are other Greek owners in the area and it is quite normal at this time of year.
Your temps and humidity are fine, but I up my temps by five degrees or so for a couple of weeks when this happens, just to give the tortoise a boost so it thinks it's still summer. I also offer tasty snacks and treats, maybe a bit of cucumber or even tomato, just to get the appetite restored . After two or three weeks, Tidgy returns to normal patterns and over-wintering is easy.
If you plan on hibernating, though, a different procedure is necessary, of course.
Either way, this is normal behaviour and I would say probably nothing to worry about at this time.

baker27

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone!! This has been happening for about 4 weeks now. He did eat a little mazuri this morning. Only thing that worries me is he is feeling a bit light. He's still very active. Hopefully he will eat a bit more soon. Thanks again!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
More treats like the pumpkin will restore the appetite (hopefully) and get some food inside him.
Upping the temps also should see him eat more.
He'll soon recover any lost weight.

baker27

5 Year Member
More treats like the pumpkin will restore the appetite (hopefully) and get some food inside him.
Upping the temps also should see him eat more.
He'll soon recover any lost weight.
Happy to report I gave Gus a piece of tomato this morning. He smelled it for awhile and gobbled it up! Later I offered a piece of cucumber and he ate that and some of his greens. Then tonight he was eating his mazuri! I rearranged some of the lights put a portable heater in his room to raise temps a bit more. So hopefully he'll start eating regularly again and gain the weight back he lost. Thanks again for all the tips!!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Happy to report I gave Gus a piece of tomato this morning. He smelled it for awhile and gobbled it up! Later I offered a piece of cucumber and he ate that and some of his greens. Then tonight he was eating his mazuri! I rearranged some of the lights put a portable heater in his room to raise temps a bit more. So hopefully he'll start eating regularly again and gain the weight back he lost. Thanks again for all the tips!!!
Pleasure!!!!
Most splendid news!