Not basking

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Just curious why am I 9 month old female leopard is retreating to her hide after eating in the morning is there half the day then comes out eat some more and goes back to her hide just wondering if she's not basking anymore because of the seasonal change however I keep her light cycle the same temperatures high 80s low 90s and her basking tile around 92 to 93 also the humidity is it always low to mid-90s she told her food every day and poops every day and soak every day until recently started soaking every other day just curious if this is something to worry about or just normal thanks in advance for any info

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My 2 year old star never basks. Sometimes he'll lay under his UVB tube, but he has never once laid on his basking slate.

They bask to get warm enough to be able to digest. I keep his entire enclosure mid to upper 80's, even at night.

Since he is plenty warm, he doesn't need to bask. He's always warm enough to digest his food.

Maybe it's the same with yours.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Just curious why am I 9 month old female leopard is retreating to her hide after eating in the morning is there half the day then comes out eat some more and goes back to her hide just wondering if she's not basking anymore because of the seasonal change however I keep her light cycle the same temperatures high 80s low 90s and her basking tile around 92 to 93 also the humidity is it always low to mid-90s she told her food every day and poops every day and soak every day until recently started soaking every other day just curious if this is something to worry about or just normal thanks in advance for any info
My Leo hatchling basks but won't use his hide...ive tried putting him in there but he prefers to burrow in his substrate (orchid bark) and make a little nest.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
My 2 year old star never basks. Sometimes he'll lay under his UVB tube, but he has never once laid on his basking slate.

They bask to get warm enough to be able to digest. I keep his entire enclosure mid to upper 80's, even at night.

Since he is plenty warm, he doesn't need to bask. He's always warm enough to digest his food.

Maybe it's the same with yours.
Interesting well she used to always go lay on her basking tile after eating like clockwork everyday I haven't changed anything as far as temperature or lighting I just figured maybe she senses change in the season most of the week she stays in all day coming out only to eat and go back in when she's done eating however there was a couple days where she actually walked around very fast like she was trying to get out I do believe it's time for a bigger enclosure as she is getting bigger I need to order a duplicate of what she has now as far as lighting and everything else including thermostat so I can get it set up and test it out for a week or so I got a really large thousand gallon plastic agricultural tank that I'm going to cut in half that will make a 5' x 5' x 2' with a big plexiglass lid that I can mount her heater and lights in also I've started skipping days on soaking and I noticed She lays on her tile if I don't soak her which I'm assuming because her soak water heats her up typically so she must be laying on the tile to get her core warmer I also keep your temps mid-80s overnight to be safe last night was the first time I forgot to flip her switch and your heater was off all night till this morning which it was 79 degrees on the cool end and 80° on the hot end she sleeps on hopefully she will be okay but everything else has been the same appetite wise

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Interesting well she used to always go lay on her basking tile after eating like clockwork everyday I haven't changed anything as far as temperature or lighting I just figured maybe she senses change in the season most of the week she stays in all day coming out only to eat and go back in when she's done eating however there was a couple days where she actually walked around very fast like she was trying to get out I do believe it's time for a bigger enclosure as she is getting bigger I need to order a duplicate of what she has now as far as lighting and everything else including thermostat so I can get it set up and test it out for a week or so I got a really large thousand gallon plastic agricultural tank that I'm going to cut in half that will make a 5' x 5' x 2' with a big plexiglass lid that I can mount her heater and lights in also I've started skipping days on soaking and I noticed She lays on her tile if I don't soak her which I'm assuming because her soak water heats her up typically so she must be laying on the tile to get her core warmer I also keep your temps mid-80s overnight to be safe last night was the first time I forgot to flip her switch and your heater was off all night till this morning which it was 79 degrees on the cool end and 80° on the hot end she sleeps on hopefully she will be okay but everything else has been the same appetite wise
Her* (not your) darn voice text

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
My Leo hatchling basks but won't use his hide...ive tried putting him in there but he prefers to burrow in his substrate (orchid bark) and make a little nest.
How old is he? How long have you had him? And what temp and humidity do you keep your enclosure? Is it completely enclosed?

Jodipg82

Oviedo
How old is he? How long have you had him? And what temp and humidity do you keep your enclosure? Is it completely enclosed?
I have had him since May 5th, 2020 and he is about 5 months old. I do have him in a fully enclosed enclosure and keep my humidity above 80% all the time, I use orchid bark as coco coir is so messy, I get the orchid bark wet and mix it every morning as the top layer dries out around where his basking/flood light and the bottom layer is wet and I also mist him and his plants through out the day. His enclosure has a cooler side thats around 80-85 and the other side stays below 95 and would be 95-100 directly under his bulb. I dont do artifical UV as I live in Florida so I take him outside each day for about 30min to exercise, get his UV and graze if he wants.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Is the ag tank brand new? If so, that's a great find!
Nope it was used...gonna scub and clean this weekend after I cut it in half then to get plexiglass and about 5- 6 bags of orchard bark since she getting used to it.. can't wait to get her some plants in there and the nice big walking area for exercise.. ??

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Great numbers! She looks like she doesn't have a care in the world! Total peace.
I really didn't care for the smell of that use tank kind of worried me some but I did find this brand new one awesome deal only $150 it was 39 in wide by 59 in Long 24 in high which is perfect for a little while I should last her at least 6 months a 150 gallon tank with a drain which I can use for many other things when she's done with it..... the main thing is it's very clean and very rugged..?❤?Screenshot_20200928-091821_Samsung Internet.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have always found my leopards change their habits when it gets towards winter. My one loves the cold end of the enclosure. They are adults so I don't worry about a cold end. They seem to roam and eat less and sleep more.
As long as s/he is eating, drinking, pooping and all temps and humidity is correct I wouldn't worry.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I have always found my leopards change their habits when it gets towards winter. My one loves the cold end of the enclosure. They are adults so I don't worry about a cold end. They seem to roam and eat less and sleep more.
As long as s/he is eating, drinking, pooping and all temps and humidity is correct I wouldn't worry.
That's kind of what I was thinking cuz she has been really normal other than that and some days she does bask for a few hours here and there and also walks in circles getting her exercise... Lol soon I'll be moving her from a foot and 1/2 by 3 ft enclosure to a 3ft by 5ft and closure
Can't wait she's going to love it...??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She will love it. Just be prepared. Some wonder a lot for several days until they have checked everything out a few times. Others don't enjoy the change and will hide away until they realize they are safe. Either way bigger is better. Just make sure she eats and more importantly she drinks.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
She will love it. Just be prepared. Some wonder a lot for several days until they have checked everything out a few times. Others don't enjoy the change and will hide away until they realize they are safe. Either way bigger is better. Just make sure she eats and more importantly she drinks.
She is definitely eating I upgraded one of her 5" saucers to like a 8-9 in one so she can lay in it if she wants.. I just got a cute vid of her drinking a couple days ago and she covered the whole dish...hahaha.. so the bigger one is better...???