Nose Bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I've posted before about my Russian tortoise Juca who was bullied and as a result has had several health and overall wellness issues. I've had her outside in her own balcony enclosure for about 2 weeks now. The lows have been in the 60s with highs in the 70s, though ground temps range from 70s to 115. She's eating very well, finally partaking in mixed greens in addition to the spring mix she was dead set on before. Her eyes are still an issue. I've soaked her in a carrot baby food solution a few times and also tried feeding avocado and butternut squash for the Vitamin A but her eyes are still a bit puffy and she's still fairly lethargic. She does have moments of activity outdoors which seems promising but she's not grazing like she was was when I first put her out there.

The last couple days I've noticed a periodic bubble in her nose. The first time it happened while I was soaking her so I thought maybe it was water but I just saw one while she was eating butternut squash a few minutes ago. Seems to happen when she's swallowing. Is this likely a respiratory infection or could it be something else? What should I do? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Patrick

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Patrick:

It might not be anything to worry about, but with the slightly swollen eyes, it also might be the start of a respiratory infection.

The tortoise's nares go into the roof of his mouth, not down his throat. So sometimes what's in his mouth might come out his nose.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Very well could be a URI and if were me I would take her to a herp vet ASAP. Things can go down hill quickly.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
emysemys said:
Hi Patrick:

It might not be anything to worry about, but with the slightly swollen eyes, it also might be the start of a respiratory infection.

The tortoise's nares go into the roof of his mouth, not down his throat. So sometimes what's in his mouth might come out his nose.

The first time in the water it seemed clear. This time it was more yellowish, similar to the squash she was eating so maybe that is what I'm seeing. I'll keep her indoors for a couple days and see if I see anything else.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
From what you describe...clear bubbles in the clear water and yellowish bubbles when eating the yellow fruit item....likely aok in that regard....

However, eyes are a tricky thing for sure....I also have a Redfoot that was horribly bullied and has lasting affects that also include eye issues....

I think that if I were in your position, I would let her go outside if the weather is sunny and warm and then when it begins to chill I would bring her into her indoor enclosure and bump the temps to 80 and I would do this for a couple of weeks....also, add soaks to her daily routine especially if you are going to bump temps.....just what I would do ---and have done with the Redfoot here----I understand you have a Russian but if your tort is ailing...warmth and hydration seem to be greatly appreciated....:D

I also would keep an eye on her behavior....you already have a tort that has some issues, but even a tort with issues has a "norm"...so if she goes out of her norm for more than a day or two then I would be concerned....

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
ascott said:
From what you describe...clear bubbles in the clear water and yellowish bubbles when eating the yellow fruit item....likely aok in that regard....

However, eyes are a tricky thing for sure....I also have a Redfoot that was horribly bullied and has lasting affects that also include eye issues....

I think that if I were in your position, I would let her go outside if the weather is sunny and warm and then when it begins to chill I would bring her into her indoor enclosure and bump the temps to 80 and I would do this for a couple of weeks....also, add soaks to her daily routine especially if you are going to bump temps.....just what I would do ---and have done with the Redfoot here----I understand you have a Russian but if your tort is ailing...warmth and hydration seem to be greatly appreciated....:D

I also would keep an eye on her behavior....you already have a tort that has some issues, but even a tort with issues has a "norm"...so if she goes out of her norm for more than a day or two then I would be concerned....

I put her back outside this morning. She's still eating a ton and she was very active most of the day. I'm monitoring her with a webcam now. Overall I think she's more alert and active than she used to be. She's waking up faster in the mornings and she's nolonger turning her nose to the healthier greens I'm mixing with the spring mix. Chopping it all up together made all the difference, especially with the eye problem. She is much more likely to grab food with each attempted bite. She still struggles with her eating, seeming to miss the food sometimes by a mile, but she's managing to get a lot down regardless. I'm still trying to boost the vitamin A consumption.

Do you think the eyes will improve through continued sunshine and better nutrition?

Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
She still struggles with her eating, seeming to miss the food sometimes by a mile, but she's managing to get a lot down regardless. I'm still trying to boost the vitamin A consumption.

Do you think the eyes will improve through continued sunshine and better nutrition?

Missing food by a mile (air biter)....the good thing is that she is eating and knows that if she keeps going she will consume what she needs (you have encouraged her will by offering her the means to do this, good job) Vitamin A rich foods are good.

Improve....I have the Redfoot here that does your described behavior, I have had her since middle of Sept last year...while her spirit has improved--which gives her the gumption to seek out her food and stomp around now if I am late (lol) and eat it all up--yes it takes her longer than the others---but she has made great strides and continues to do so....so almost a year later her eyesight itself I do not believe has improved greatly, however, her spirit and will has certainly made great progress....so it kinda is like she is just use to her "shortcomings" about damaged eyesight and has learned to work with what she has....and she has began to show a fun little personality....

So just keep trucking along with what you are doing and your tort will find a way to get to a good place....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.