North Texas Newb

dmilam

Location (City and/or State)
North Texas
Hello from North Texas. I’ve been researching for a few months about stepping into the tortoise world. Finally made the leap yesterday with this little gal. I was told it was a Hermanns but based on what I’ve read, it appears to be a Greek. I’m happy either way, I was looking for a captive bred rehome and found it.

09898C39-E039-4543-8B9A-44194188A862.jpeg 2F4A49B5-3350-4037-A311-8CE6CF77480A.jpeg 8A17F363-6B80-410C-964C-21977859DF07.jpeg 854D9174-6CF5-4A91-A69C-6242958AFC9C.jpeg C6EF4901-9D65-4AC8-994C-91FC2F9A82CD.jpeg

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Welcome to the forum...and to the wonderful world of tortoises! I am sure you will be as addicted as the rest of us in no time at all! LOL

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
You’re not kidding, this is one of the most fascinating creatures I’ve ever had.
If you're like a lot of us, you will find they are a little bit like potato chips....you can't have just one! LOL They really are fascinating to watch...and each one seems to have its own unique personality. Have you named yours yet? I have two baby sulcatas...Dudley and Delilah. I am originally from Texas as well. Grew up in Temple, TX...between Waco and Austin on I-35.

dmilam

North Texas
If you're like a lot of us, you will find they are a little bit like potato chips....you can't have just one! LOL They really are fascinating to watch...and each one seems to have its own unique personality. Have you named yours yet? I have two baby sulcatas...Dudley and Delilah. I am originally from Texas as well. Grew up in Temple, TX...between Waco and Austin on I-35.

Lol, I’ve been patiently easing into this. I have not named it yet. I think it’s a female but I think it’s too young to be sure.

I’ve been through Temple several times. I’m up in Burleson, just south of Fort Worth. Wife is from Austin so we’ve been up and down I-35 a million times.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Lol, I’ve been patiently easing into this. I have not named it yet. I think it’s a female but I think it’s too young to be sure.

I’ve been through Temple several times. I’m up in Burleson, just south of Fort Worth. Wife is from Austin so we’ve been up and down I-35 a million times.
It took me two weeks, and two name changes (and two weeks of arguing with my hubby who wanted different names! LOL) before I finally decided. LOL Don't worry. It'll come to you in time. Enjoy your new tortie and if you ever have questions, etc...this forum is a great place to learn!

dmilam

North Texas
It took me two weeks, and two name changes (and two weeks of arguing with my hubby who wanted different names! LOL) before I finally decided. LOL Don't worry. It'll come to you in time. Enjoy your new tortie and if you ever have questions, etc...this forum is a great place to learn!

I’ve been lurking but didn’t join until I actually adopted the tortoise. It really is a great place with lots of good information

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, s/he is a gorgeous little tort!
Hopefully someone will confirm what species he is for you so that you can make sure you use the right caresheet.
Don't be tempted to get more though - they don't like company!
This is a great place for up to date information, support and shared experiences - I'd be lost without it!

dmilam

North Texas
Hi and welcome, s/he is a gorgeous little tort!
Hopefully someone will confirm what species he is for you so that you can make sure you use the right caresheet.
Don't be tempted to get more though - they don't like company!
This is a great place for up to date information, support and shared experiences - I'd be lost without it!

Thank you, I think it’s the perfect little tortoise. I’ve seen the posts and information about multiples. I’m good with what I have. I’m going to focus on this one and make sure it enjoys a nice long life. I’ve already spoken to the wife and sons about who’s going to take care of this little one after I’m gone. It’s kinda funny to me, them, not so much.

dmilam

North Texas
Havent been around much since losing tapatalk but I thought I would drop by and update everyone on this little adopted tortoise. In July '19, this little tortoise weighed in at a whopping 26 grams. I was doing daily soaks and feeding greens, dandelions, romaine, green leaf and opuntia. Calcium dusting on food. I attempted to feed Mazuri but it refused it. Daily routine was consistent. Soak, eat and sleep. No signs of distress, everything seemed to be normal.

The odd thing was its growth. From July '19 until Jan '20 it only gained about 5 grams. Everything appeared to be normal but it just wasnt growing. Well, that changed right around January with its first birthday. It turned into an eating machine and has gained 34 grams since January 1st. Its doubled in weight and is noticeably larger. I haven't measured her but you can visibly see the difference. No environmental changes but it just took off.

Another thing that I noticed which is amusing. In the past, when I reached into the enclosure, it would simply retreat into its shell and hide. Now when I reach in, it runs. It is the cutest little thing trying to run away on its half inch legs. It runs straight for a plant or into a hide. Its really funny.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Havent been around much since losing tapatalk but I thought I would drop by and update everyone on this little adopted tortoise. In July '19, this little tortoise weighed in at a whopping 26 grams. I was doing daily soaks and feeding greens, dandelions, romaine, green leaf and opuntia. Calcium dusting on food. I attempted to feed Mazuri but it refused it. Daily routine was consistent. Soak, eat and sleep. No signs of distress, everything seemed to be normal.

The odd thing was its growth. From July '19 until Jan '20 it only gained about 5 grams. Everything appeared to be normal but it just wasnt growing. Well, that changed right around January with its first birthday. It turned into an eating machine and has gained 34 grams since January 1st. Its doubled in weight and is noticeably larger. I haven't measured her but you can visibly see the difference. No environmental changes but it just took off.

Another thing that I noticed which is amusing. In the past, when I reached into the enclosure, it would simply retreat into its shell and hide. Now when I reach in, it runs. It is the cutest little thing trying to run away on its half inch legs. It runs straight for a plant or into a hide. Its really funny.
I'd love to see current pictures of this little guy.

dmilam

North Texas
She was not amused with my attempts to take pictures.

6CB8015B-F160-46DD-B49C-6564A771774F.jpeg

She would not sit still.

727F8101-4B0C-4F06-A3DE-17E908B94AB6.jpeg

This photo actually looks like she’s starting to pyramid? It appears worse in the photo?

D1B52A94-B34D-454E-9A64-DE2A84B50300.jpeg

Tortoise Buffet!

F267B567-D752-445F-93C3-70EB895E57A2.jpeg

Eating her greens!

ABFABA4A-D29D-46CB-B309-2D1F69EFD982.jpeg