Norman - UK Hermann's

Adam_89

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Good evening!

Let me introduce myself, I'm Adam, and our new Hermann's Tortoise is Norman! ? (or Norma when we are able to find out!)

Oh and that's Luca our little human ?

IMG_20200707_154442.jpg

IMG_20200707_150135.jpgIMG_20200707_135742.jpgIMG_20200707_135729.jpg

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Hi and welcome! I love your tortoise he/she is adorable. Unfortunately, those pellets that you are using for substrate are no good. I would recommend orchard bark. Coco coir and cypress mulch work too. Also, what are your humidity levels? Hatchlings usually need high levels, 80%-90%. This is achievable by using a closed top to maintain the humidity.

Adam_89

Manchester
Hi and welcome! I love your tortoise he/she is adorable. Unfortunately, those pellets that you are using for substrate are no good. I would recommend orchard bark. Coco coir and cypress mulch work too. Also, what are your humidity levels? Hatchlings usually need high levels, 80%-90%. This is achievable by using a closed top to maintain the humidity.
Thank you for replying!

My humidity/temp sensors are arriving tomorrow and I'm going to look at alternatives substrate. Frustrating as this is what came in the starter kit and is advertised as substrate on the packaging and one of the first Google results!

Adam_89

Manchester
Sorry for so many questions but I‘m also wondering do you soak your hatchling every day? Together the humidity levels and soaking helps prevent pyramiding. Good luck with your tort!

We literally got him/her today so we are going to start a routine of weighing and soaking each morning ?

Based on the registration docs for the microchip we are estimating he is 10-12 months old. Registered in Nov 2019.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome... As your in the UK swell reptiles for online supplies is good and you can get orchid bark which is a nice substrate base. Have a read of the care sheets as well and enjoy Norman. Lots of help on here if you get questions or concerns.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
top soil not good as they eat it and can cause impaction. coconut coir which could be the one on left and or orchid bark is a good base. Have a read of the care sheets before spending money as I have learnt alot on here. coconut coir bricks on Amazon work well you just add water but not as much as they say to avoid a swamp!

Adam_89

Manchester
top soil not good as they eat it and can cause impaction. coconut coir which could be the one on left and or orchid bark is a good base. Have a read of the care sheets before spending money as I have learnt alot on here. coconut coir bricks on Amazon work well you just add water but not as much as they say to avoid a swamp!

I'll get some coconut coir bricks and some orchid bark for a bit of variety! Thank you ?

Adam_89

Manchester
Bit of an update! Felt very anxious overnight, suppose that's only natural when getting a new pet!

Bathed him this morning for around 15 mins but he just kind of sat still the whole time!

After that I put him back in his table with a nice fresh bowl of greens and some clean water. He stayed relatively quiet for a bit but then had a good munch on his food!

Then around lunch time he had a big drink followed by a poo in his water dish, changed that out straight away for fresh and he's now munching his way through some more of his food!

Definitely made me feel a little more at ease knowing he's drinking, eating and going to the toilet!

Just soaking some of the coconut coir substrate ready to swap that out, thermostats are in and I've lowered the heat/UV lamp a little. Also got another tunnel today and a spray bottle so I can keep on top of the moisture!

Will post a photo update later on!

Adam_89

Manchester
IMG_20200708_155203.jpg

New substrate is in! I've lined the table with a rubble sack, doesn't look pretty but should help protect the table from the moisture.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Might not be pretty, however safe! Good luck and enjoy your tortoise

Chipmunk

Littlehampton
Awww so cute! My little Hermann’s won’t eat his cuttlebone but we are hoping he gets over that soon ? I really hope you and your tortoise make lots of happy memories

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
Bit of an update! Felt very anxious overnight, suppose that's only natural when getting a new pet!

Bathed him this morning for around 15 mins but he just kind of sat still the whole time!

After that I put him back in his table with a nice fresh bowl of greens and some clean water. He stayed relatively quiet for a bit but then had a good munch on his food!

Then around lunch time he had a big drink followed by a poo in his water dish, changed that out straight away for fresh and he's now munching his way through some more of his food!

Definitely made me feel a little more at ease knowing he's drinking, eating and going to the toilet!

Just soaking some of the coconut coir substrate ready to swap that out, thermostats are in and I've lowered the heat/UV lamp a little. Also got another tunnel today and a spray bottle so I can keep on top of the moisture!

Will post a photo update later on!

It's normal for them to sit still in the bath. They will start moving around after 15 minutes or so when they want to get out. (Probably because the water is cooling down). I would recommend to get a temperature gun to check the proper temperature of the water.

It sounds like your tortoise is doing great so far!