Normal weight gain of a baby Burmese Star tortoise

Pattjunior

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Coral, Florida
Im curious as to what the normal weight gain of a baby Burmese star tortoise should be. I do weigh my tortoise daily, but really look at an average of the weeks weights to see how the baby is progressing.

In the last month my 4 month old has gone from 30g to 36g. My 6 month old has gone from 70g to 74g.

What would be a heathy gain for tortoises this size? 5 grams a month? 10 grams a month?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Each tortoise is different, even hatchlings that are clutch mates and exposed to the exact same care will grow at different speeds.
I’ve had some that averaged 5-10 grams a month for their first year of life and others as much as 40 grams a month. I have had Burmese stars reach 500 grams by their first birthdate. That’s the exception to the rule though.

What you want is nice steady smooth growth. Keep them hot and humid, with a large variety of food and daily soaks. They will do the rest.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im curious as to what the normal weight gain of a baby Burmese star tortoise should be. I do weigh my tortoise daily, but really look at an average of the weeks weights to see how the baby is progressing.

In the last month my 4 month old has gone from 30g to 36g. My 6 month old has gone from 70g to 74g.

What would be a heathy gain for tortoises this size? 5 grams a month? 10 grams a month?
Gus said it best. My first babies back in 2013 grew so slowly at first. I was terrified that I was doing something wrong and they were going to die. I was used to the growth rate of baby sulcatas and South African leopards. My first Burmese star babies seems to be growing in slow motion compared to what I was used to. In time they grew just fine. The breeders of my babies were surprised at how big they were at 3-4 years old.

Like he said. Slow steady gain is what you want. If you want to drive yourself less crazy, only weigh once a month.