Normal not to wake up?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Is it normal for torts not to wake up for a day as they wind down for hibernation?

The temperatures are not there yet, the enclosures currently reading 20C and 20.4C (humidity around 45%). Tonight will be the first night to see below 10C, and then the temps will be back up for at least a couple of weeks more.

They're t.g. Ibera and stay outdoors (we're in Turkey). Elsa has skipped a day like this before. I woke her the next day to give her a good soak. Today both of them decided to stay tucked in.

I'm wondering if I should let them sleep and wake as they please or yank them out of those enclosures tomorrow and have them wait for a more suitable weather forecast.

Elsa hibernated on her own last year as per the previous owner. Kristoff, in all probability, was wild caught recently - so he's probably been through the process before as well.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You should pull them out to soak them if they're not fully hibernated, but otherwise not worry too much.

Joe (Testudo Graeca Graeca) is doing very little now. We had a lovely sunny day with a high of 17C yesterday, but he's just not interested. He will be hibernated properly by the end of the month.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Thank you for a quick response, @JoesMum! You're amazing xxx

I think I'll pull them out tomorrow. I was surprised they both did it, and their enclosures are not even side-by-side anymore.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You should pull them out to soak them if they're not fully hibernated, but otherwise not worry too much.

Joe (Testudo Graeca Graeca) is doing very little now. We had a lovely sunny day with a high of 17C yesterday, but he's just not interested. He will be hibernated properly by the end of the month.
That's exactly what I did when you were kind enough to give me that advise. Thanks @JoesMum !

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you for a quick response, @JoesMum! You're amazing xxx

I think I'll pull them out tomorrow. I was surprised they both did it, and their enclosures are not even side-by-side anymore.

Hi there. That, I presume was merely a coincidence, don't you?