ForTheLove of Tort

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
My tort has been making non stop sex noises and tries to mate with everything. He ejaculates everywhere and my family is getting tired of cleaning up tortoise semen. This has gone on for months now. It’s gotten to a point where he’ll stop eating if he spots anything that he thinks he can mate with. He has tried to mount the cat even the sec we looked. He’s losing weight as even the smallest reflection turns him on and he tries for hours to mate, often ending with some clean up. We let him roam throughout the apartment as we don’t have the space to set up an big enough area just for him. If we try to put him in a terrarium he slaps his body so hard against the glass his nose turns red and looks like it could bleed. As I’m typing this he has nearly flipped him self over trying to “get to the other tortoise“ which is just his reflection from the glass on the oven, which we often cover with blankets to get rid of the reflection. I thought that maybe he had a infection and have given him multiple hot bathes (Tortoise safe temperature) but that hasn’t done anything. He’s poops appear normal but since he barely eats and sometimes even ejaculates on his food he doesn’t poop much. Is this normal? Is there anyway to get him to stop as the only time he isn’t making the croaking sex noises is when sleeps and the rare bites of food he eats before walking away to ejaculate somewhere? Please help.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
The only suggestion I have for you is to get a female tortoise I know it’s definitely not the solution you’re looking for but it will stop some of your issues

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there a reason you can't set this tortoise up outside in his own yard? He'll stop that behavior once he has a LARGE yard of his own to navigate. Also, a tortoise that's old enough to try to mate with everything is too old to be living in a small aquarium. He needs a much larger space. I noticed a really nice new picture in our media file when I logged on this a.m. Take a look at the large green tortoise enclosure in at the top of the screen. Your tortoise could use a space like that one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only suggestion I have for you is to get a female tortoise I know it’s definitely not the solution you’re looking for but it will stop some of your issues
This is not a good suggestion as they don't even have the proper room for the one they have. Also, pairs don't work and he will breed the one female to death!