No reptiles allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
First of all I hate HOA's, but the way I understood HOA's were suppossed to operate was that they were to enforce community standards, but what happens is a few people get to much power and then try and rule it like a small fiefdom, avoid any community with HOA's to much hassle and to many little power hungry jerks. I wanted to use stronger language but decided against it.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
dmmj said:
First of all I hate HOA's, but the way I understood HOA's were suppossed to operate was that they were to enforce community standards, but what happens is a few people get to much power and then try and rule it like a small fiefdom, avoid any community with HOA's to much hassle and to many little power hungry jerks. I wanted to use stronger language but decided against it.

I'm split on the HOA idea. I've lived in a well run town house complex, and the only rule I did not like was guests could not park in the street. The "Rules" were quite fair and reasonable. There are many rules that others have that I don't agree with, but rules are known before you ever buy or rent. I think my issue is people that buy places agreeing to a certain set or laws, and then complain about the laws because they don't fit their lifestyle! A wise person would choose to live where the HOA laws fit their lifestyle. I saw in the news recently where people had issues because they could not fly the American flag in front of their condo. I would NEVER live there because of that. I think some people buy places, then read the rules. ALWAYS read the fine print. Just my opinion!
It like zoning, but much more local.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Certainly, it does depend on the HOA, but I could never live that way. CA is basically like one big HOA and I can't wait to get out of here. Gotta win the lottery first, so I don't have to work.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My community has very strict rules too, but I managed to just get approved to put up a picket fence around my property to protect my torts from wandering children. It will help a lot.

My house has a shed that is bigger than what is now allowed, but it was grandfathered in. If I ever tear it down and build a new one, I have to abide by the new rules though. I hope it lasts, lol. I can't wait to move out.

They have rules about pets, too - someone complained that I had a "HUGE" snake, and I got a call from the office. It was my Ball Python, lol.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
richalisoviejo said:
Madkins007 said:
According to many scientists, turtles and tortoises are not reptiles. See www.naherpetology.org for support of the idea that they split off the tree earlier than other reptiles. So, to split the hairs that lawyers get so much money to split- tortoises are legal!

It wasn’t mentioned in the thread that a tortoise or turtle was a reptile, but that’s another debate.

I thought this whole thing was based on the assumption that turtles and tortoises are reptiles? "...you are not allowed to have any type of reptile."

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Right on Mark!

My Apt charges for dogs and cats.

Reptiles are usually kept in enclosures. So therefore, unaffected by the monthly canine/feline taxation.

I asked if there was a anti-reptile policy. How could she say no to cute little Torts?

Desertsss- I'd seek signatures from your neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.