No More Bulk Organic Greens

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
I had my Greeks on a staple diet of Spring Mix until Friday when I ran out. I was feeding the 3 a single 1.5lb bag daily. Supplemented with various greens.

Today I went to get 3 more cases and they told me that organic greens like that must be packaged. So now you can no longer help your self to the bulk greens. They cannot even get the 3lb cases anymore which are the bags. I used to get a case discount because I was buying enough.

It's those handy plastic 1 pound containers or separate greens from now on.

I realize that I should have been buying separate greens from day one and that the pre-prepared spring mix was a convenience in measuring daily intake.

Well, there's the Saturday morning farmers market to get a great deal on greens.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Or...make a garden.

Last fall I ordered some red leaf lettuce and turnip seeds. I had no idea the amount of red leaf I ordered was so much. You should see the big bag I received!!! Anyway...I cleaned out my garden plot and planted a row of red leaf lettuce, about 20' long, and a row same size of turnips. This was about October or November, I can't remember. Every day I would go out there with a bucket and a pair of scissors and cut the tops off the plants. I fed my tortoises from these two rows all winter long up to this past week. The plants are just now starting to set seed stalks, so I've cut the last I'm going to be able to cut. I worried the freeze would kill the plants, but no, even on the coldest nights, the plants were still fine.

I won't plant another garden during the summer. Just too darned hot here, but come fall, I'll be out there with my hoe and fertilizer.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
figure1.jpg

Or…make a garden.

How do I do that? I'm in an apt and the balcony gets morning sun until 1pm. Then theres the desert heat.

Hydroponic tube rack?

Photo credit to ndsu.edu

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Works for me! But is it allowed under your rental agreement?

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
They want a sterile balcony.

No adding hooks for bird feeders. No clothes lines.

I did put out window boxes on the railing bottom; with native flower seeds so I can have some natural privacy barrier. That's where my Tortoise kids tan and bathe without the neighbor kids noticing them.

I never asked if all the lawns are fertilized. I need to sun them and run them more often. My little lawn out front would be a good spot.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Made my own bulk mixed greens in the stack of 1lb spring mix containers which by the way make great stackables.

I learned from the restaurant biz that greens will keep in water in the fridge.

I'm good for 4 days. I put dump out the cold greens as part of my morning routine. The water keeps the flagstone clean.