No adoption for me

mike rowlett

Hi everyone I regret to say that I will no longer be in the market for adopting a Sulcata . I did not foresee a problem that my wife seems to have with this. I am an over the road trucker and sometimes I'm out or as long as a month. Most of the time I am back within a week. I thought she would help me I had plans to make a tortoise yard so that they could run and play and chase butterflies if they wanted to LOL. I love this forum and I will continue to learn about these tortoises. I simply can't take the chance of them getting sick or dying because I wasn't home maybe one of these days I will be able to get One of my own . These are absolutely beautiful creatures and they need to be taken care of I hope everyone understands and keep up the good work thanks Mike from Texas

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Mike. If your wife has a problem with it then it's a no go but if you get an established adult and have an outside yard with heated night box it will be fine without you. Sulcatas eat grass and weeds. All you wife would need rondo is make sure it's not dead and fill a water dish a few times a week. It would be way simpler for her to sort of watch over the tort than it would be to don sit for someone. A baby would be a hole different ball of wax.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Talk to her nicely, Mike.
Tell her it's you dream and that the work she'll have to do will be minimal.
Tell her about the chasing of butterflies and how beautiful sulcatas are.
Maybe she'll fall in love with torts too.
Worth a try.

mike rowlett

Mike. If your wife has a problem with it then it's a no go but if you get an established adult and have an outside yard with heated night box it will be fine without you. Sulcatas eat grass and weeds. All you wife would need rondo is make sure it's not dead and fill a water dish a few times a week. It would be way simpler for her to sort of watch over the tort than it would be to don sit for someone. A baby would be a hole different ball of wax.
Thanks tort dad that was one of the reasons I wanted an adult. I know the juveniles or babies need a lot of care and a lot of attention and I knew I would be gone. I will talk to her and see what she says because I really wanted two adults but I was willing to start off with just one. Thanks tortdad this gives me a glimmer of light . So we will see talk to y'all later

mike rowlett

Talk to her nicely, Mike.
Tell her it's you dream and that the work she'll have to do will be minimal.
Tell her about the chasing of butterflies and how beautiful sulcatas are.
Maybe she'll fall in love with torts too.
Worth a try.
Yeah maybe chasing the butterflies would be a seller LOL

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mike, I think your first thought to just hold off until you are at home and no longer driving is the best thing. I am thinking about those unexpected things like a sudden weather change, a fence being broken down or more commonly the tortoise deciding to dig out. Things your wife may not want to deal with or be able to. I know how with trucking you can not run home at the snap of your fingers. Wait until your home, before jumping into a sulcata.

Lexiii

CT
Honestly, if the worst thing my late husband had wanted was a tortoise, I would have bought him one immediately. I hope you get one. I waited 47 years and finally was able to. My kids think I'm a little nutty, but that's nothing new.

mike rowlett

I really appreciate the encouragement I think that maybe someday I will get my tortoise I love those creatures I think they are so cool and people think I'm a little nutty Also. Thanks Lexi I'm still looking and I'll get one sooner or later Mike In Texas

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
You sound like a really cool guy, Mike!
You'll get your tortoise when the time is right. I think it's a smart move to stall it for awhile.
When the time is right, we'll be here to cheer you on!
:)

mike rowlett

Thanks for the encouragement this forum is really great and all the people are really great I think when my time comes to get one it will be easy to do thanks Kathy th