Night time temperatures for baby horsefield tortoise

rubyg22

Location (City and/or State)
Lincolnshire
Hi there.

I’ve just got a baby horsefield tortoise. Had him for a couple days and he’s seeming all good! Just have one question regarding night time temperature if anyone could help.
We have him in a tortoise table, and so far for the first couple of nights he’s insisted on being in the open part of the table rather than his hide (which we’ve put a heat mat in so it stays at around 22C) and he stays burrowed in a corner next to his wooden hut. We’re slightly worried that he’s getting cold at night because the temperature does drop to around 16/17C as we’re in the UK and it’s cold at the minute, we’re looking at buying a nighttime UV lamp to provide some heat but not sure if this is the best choice? Or should we get a heat mat to switch on at night for the open part?
Sorry if I’ve got any names wrong etc. and I’m open to all advice as I’m a complete newbie, thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there.

I’ve just got a baby horsefield tortoise. Had him for a couple days and he’s seeming all good! Just have one question regarding night time temperature if anyone could help.
We have him in a tortoise table, and so far for the first couple of nights he’s insisted on being in the open part of the table rather than his hide (which we’ve put a heat mat in so it stays at around 22C) and he stays burrowed in a corner next to his wooden hut. We’re slightly worried that he’s getting cold at night because the temperature does drop to around 16/17C as we’re in the UK and it’s cold at the minute, we’re looking at buying a nighttime UV lamp to provide some heat but not sure if this is the best choice? Or should we get a heat mat to switch on at night for the open part?
Sorry if I’ve got any names wrong etc. and I’m open to all advice as I’m a complete newbie, thank you.
Hello and welcome!

Heat mats should not be used under tortoises. They are dangerous. Use overhead heat from a CHE or radiant heat panel if night heat is needed.

I like it around 20-21 at night for babies. 16-17 is fine for older ones, as long as they can warm up under basking lamps during the day.

UV lamps are for daytime. It should be dark at night. CHEs or RHPs will keep things warm enough without emitting any light.

Much of the care info and product sold for this species is all wrong. Wrong substrate, wrong bowls, wrong bulbs. Read this for the current and correct care info:

rubyg22

Lincolnshire
Hello and welcome!

Heat mats should not be used under tortoises. They are dangerous. Use overhead heat from a CHE or radiant heat panel if night heat is needed.

I like it around 20-21 at night for babies. 16-17 is fine for older ones, as long as they can warm up under basking lamps during the day.

UV lamps are for daytime. It should be dark at night. CHEs or RHPs will keep things warm enough without emitting any light.

Much of the care info and product sold for this species is all wrong. Wrong substrate, wrong bowls, wrong bulbs. Read this for the current and correct care info:
Hello and welcome!

Amazing, thank you so much for the reply. The link you sent was also really helpful, you’re the best!

Reactions: Tom