Night time heat source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antelope Valley
I was wondering what to use as a night time heating source. It went from summer (mid 80's) to almost winter (high 60's) in one day. Thats sort of typical here. Anyway I wanted to know if tortoises can see infared light. I've read both that they can and that they can't. I tend to turst the people on this forum more than most so I was hoping someone could give me some insight. I just made Tex a new tortoise tablen which came out very nice and I think he loves it. I put a heat cable down but it doesn't seem to be doing much. What do you guys recommend as a heat source for night time?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Is your table at least paritally covered? at least over the area that has the heat cable? That might hold in the heat, and humidity.
You can also use the CHE's or black incandescent bulbs (while they last) at night.
I think several also use the red bulbs in their sleep areas and their torts seem to do fine.
If you post pics of your enclosure, with any needed explanation about the heating/lighting, I am sure you will get more feedback.

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Antelope Valley
I have a black light in there that I just got today and it seems to be doing the trick. The warm side is up to 86 even though its about 60 in the house. I may have posted when I already had a solution. I have plenty of red lights also. I was more worried about them being able to see the light and havig it disturb the day/night cycle.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Unless you need to view them at night , the best is a Ceramic Element. It does exactly what you want ...." Produce heat" . They last longer are much safer when used inconjunction with a ceramic base type fixture.
One of the reasons for using this heat source with no light pertains to what we call Circadian rhythms, which are physical, mental and behavioral changes that follow a roughly 24-hour cycle, responding primarily to light and darkness in an organism’s environment. They are found in most living things, including animals, plants and many tiny microbes. Light such as infared, UVB , natural ect ...during the " dark times" can break these bio reflexes which in return can damage your animals overall health.

So spend the extra buck and go with ceramic.

" HAppy Tort~N"

JD~:)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
+1 on the che. I swear I've had my zoomed brand emitter for at least 6 years. Ymmv of course but if I need heat it's what I'd turn to.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I also use the heat emitters. I've tried the other heat lights but the heat emitters seem to be the best of all of them. I leave mine on 24/7 and if they want to get away from it they just move to the other side where it is cooler. They mainly stay under it. The temps. usually stay at 85 degrees.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
I personally have owned and tried both over the course of the years with my reps. I like the CHE's because they DON"T produce light at night. I JUST switched my baby Hermann's over from the red light to a CHE, and I think over all, she is a bit more happy with it. I think that if YOU can see it, THEY can it, although I guess some research has suggested some animals can't see that wavelength. I tend to disagree with that. Go with CHE's. About double to triple the cost of an infrared per wattage comparison, but way better and more worth it in the end.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I made my own fixture for a CHE using these guidlines (below) - cost ~$10 for all the materials Lowe's/Home Depot

http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm

Hooked it up to a Zoo Med thermostat ($28) and it's working great to keep things around 75ºF at night. I'd recommend a thermostat if you can afford one, they make life a lot easier.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Can they see IR or UV? Probably. They have more color-sensing structures in their eyes than humans do and it is generally accepted that they can see UV. IR is 'iffier' but entirely possible- many insects can see both.

Do red, blue, or black lights interfere with sleep metabolism? No one is sure. In theory, they should but if they do we do not recognize the effects. One interesting point- exposure to UV during the day helps establish a day/night cycle, as well as seasonal cycles, etc. Using a black light at night produces some UV. No idea what that means for cares, etc., but it makes me wonder about the effectiveness or helpfulness.

I have in-substrate heating cables that take care of 'background' heat- the temps I want 24/7 to build off of with other systems during the day.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
If the temps are too high with your CHE,you can install an in-line dimmer switch to control how hot it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.