Night heating

Shellybob3

Location (City and/or State)
Dewsbury
Hi I have a 5 month old marginated tortoise, he eats well and is active throughout the day, however he is only up and awake from around 11 am till 4pm, he does bask when awake but it has been very cold here room temperatures dropping under 14 degrees c. Any advice on using an heat source overnight? Thankyou

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I have a 5 month old marginated tortoise, he eats well and is active throughout the day, however he is only up and awake from around 11 am till 4pm, he does bask when awake but it has been very cold here room temperatures dropping under 14 degrees c. Any advice on using an heat source overnight? Thankyou
Radiant heat panel or a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat.

I find it so odd that everyone in the UK lets their house get so cold. Most people here keep their houses around 21 in winter, and some let it drop as low as 18-19. I don't know anyone who keeps their house at 14. Any colder and you'll need to heat the refrigerator to keep the food from getting too cold! :)

Impulse2

Ukraine
My marginated tortoise spent last winter at 19-20C. I believe it is a minimum acceptable temperature if you don't want to hibernate it. If you will go below that temperature, your tortoise will fall asleep every single day. It is quite stressful.