Nictating Membrane Doesn't Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I've had my sulcata, Tubby, for a year now. He's 70 or 80lbs. His nictating membrane has always covered about half of each eye. It literally does not move one way or the other. When I first got him and took him to the vet for a checkup, he was de-wormed and given a vitamin A injection. (I now know that oral beta carotene supplements are better). At first I thought it might be stress from the move to a new home, but it never went away, and it never looked inflamed or red. I tried terramyacin at one point, but had a hard time applying it. I thought I'd give it another go, but that product is impossible to get right now; it's on back order everywhere. I found some Vetramycin, which has the same active ingredient, I believe, but in a gel that's a little easier to squirt on. I just started that this morning, and maybe it will help, but I have no idea why the membrane never moves. Maybe it's just a defect he was born with or a physical condition he developed at some point that can only be corrected by surgery or something? He sees well enough to get around everywhere without a problem, but I'm guessing that it does interfere with his vision somewhat.

Again, the membrane has never been inflamed or red, he's never shown any signs of illness. He lives outside and grazes on grass and weeds all day. I supplement his diet with mixed greens and a little bit of Mazuri, and occasional vitamin and calcium supplements. I make sure he stays hydrated. I'm at a loss. The vet doesn't seem to have any other ideas. Does anyone else have a tortoise with this condition???

I just read of a condition in cats called Haw's syndrome, where this problem is linked to intestinal parasites. Maybe I need to deworm him again. It's possible he did not eat the entire dose of wormer the last time I did it. I mixed it up with smushed banana and he didn't quite eat it all. Or, maybe if he's eaten some random animal poo, he's became re-infested. ???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My sulcata, Dudley's nictitating membrane is a bit out into the eye too. Not as much as it sounds like yours is though.

It wouldn't hurt to de-worm again, although I haven't heard of that being the problem.

Erimis

5 Year Member
One of my baby cherries has that too, covers almost half of both eyes. I thought it was because she was sick (actually being bullied) but I think it was like that before. I checked a poop sample- dont know from which tort and no parasites.
I have not heard of that connection either.
Will be watching thread to see if more answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.