Nice Surprise

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
With a little luck we got an egg from one of our C. angulata last night. She paced for a few days but never stopped eating. She quietly backed into the base of a fake grass next to an aloe last night, dug a normal nest and deposited 1 egg.

I don't really expect it to be good but of course we're attempting to incubate it. She's been around males for some time and one in particular is an aggressive breeder so we'll see.

Thanks to Kelly for the advice. @tortadise
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442346570.720794.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442346582.941435.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442346596.963163.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Yep awesome. Just be prepared for more. Amazing how big the eggs are compared to vent isn't it? You'd think they would break being laid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOOHOO, hope you get more and the next big surprise will be they are good. Keep us posted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been contemplating this species for some time now as my climate seems to be prefect for them. I didn't know you even had them. This is awesome news. So glad to see another success story.

Please keep us updated on the progress and thank you for sharing this with us!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
OK, somebody has to ask a stupid question what is a C. Angulata in layman terms? All I can tell is that it is a pretty type of tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK, somebody has to ask a stupid question what is a C. Angulata in layman terms? All I can tell is that it is a pretty type of tortoise.

It is a South African tortoise with many common names. Bowsprit, and Angulated tortoise being the most common ones that I have heard. They have a reputation of being hard to keep alive in captivity in the US, but we are always learning more about what they need. There are very few of these in the whole country.

There is a guy who comes to the TTPG conference every year that breeds them like crazy. His secret: Move to the right part of the world, let them live outside day and night, and leave them alone.

I happen to live in one of the "zones" where they can survive and do well, so I've been considering having a go at it for a few years, so I am thrilled to know that Chris is having success with them and he probably has already realized that I will be bugging him for details. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Tom I would imagine these would do really well by you outside. This summer that is sadly coming to an end in the coming month or so was absolutely perfect. Hot and dry the entire time pretty much. FULL SUN. One of the hottest and driest on record actually, for my area. All the Mediterranean and other species did absolutely amazing. Forest dwelling species needed some extra TLC because of the conditions but are doing just fine. Unfortunately I got the angulata too late in the season so they only experienced a short time outside before I brought them in. Actually, it's still hot and dry out there but the nights are cool and I wanted be a little more "one on one" with these as they adjust rather than having them out on the property with almost everything else.
They're doing very well indoors in spacious units, sexes separated for now, on a dry substrate of sand, potting mix and shredded hardwood mulch. They love to make slight scrapes around the base of plants live or fake. They don't seem to bask directly under the basking lamps like the stars and radiateds do for example but rather bask in a hiding spot or corner all stretched out making the "pinwheel" look with their limbs. I've heard two pieces of advice so far regarding this: 1- leave basking lights on to create a hot and dry environment or 2- turn basking lights off and do away with them leaving only a bright fluorescent 10.0 tube on them but keep them in a warm room. If anyone can shed some light on that it would be greatly appreciated. This species has been said to be "Africa's hardiest species of tortoise" and that they are able to adapt to and withstand a wide variety of temperatures and habitats. How true that is...I simply do not know.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I actually keep them in the greenhouse and they do really well during winter. I never spray them down of course. But ambient humidity is quite high T5HO 10.0 double bulb is the UV. They're not shy really. They won't care for hides but I offer them anyways. Will readily eat in sure you know already and greens, dandelion and flowers are huge favorite.