Next Winter Enclosure

abclements

5 Year Member
As some of you may remember, Franklin is living in a coffee table right now, but I'm looking forward a bit to next winter and planning a new and exciting enclosure! The fiance (wife by next fall) wants matching furniture and poor Franklin's enclosure just doesn't fit the bill any more. So off to the CAD Studio I went and drew up a really basic plan of what I was thinking. Any feed back is more than welcome! He's 4.5 inches long at the moment.

This is what he's in now. (4X2 roughly)
1392694263465.jpg

This is more of a sofa table. 36 inches high (including the drawer), 6 feet wide and just under 3 feet deep (so it will fit through our door).
1392694362145.jpg

So here are the questions:

The actual enclosure is same width and depth but 26 inches high. After heat dish and dirt are installed, the heat dish and lights should be about 12"-15" from shell height. Should I add some height to it. Maybe make it 42" tall giving it 32 inches of enclosure space (able to be anywhere from 12"-21" off of shell)?

Also, for waterproofing, I was thinking of using polyurethane and then covering it in a latex based paint... any objections?

Any other feedback is welcome! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
You want enough height for substrate + 12-16" to bottom of light (so you can adjust up and down to regulate temps) + height of light fixture and attachment.
So a height of 42" (or even 36") would be more than adequate.

I would think a few coats of a good polyurethane alone would be fine. Can you cover polyurethane with latex paint? (not my area of expertise). :p