Newts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
About a year and a half ago, we got some rare newts. We got two different kinds, cousins. We got a group of Neurergus kaiseri and Neurergus strauchii. We experienced some amazing results this spring. The N strauchii produced!! I (Tim) have been very busy raising little newts. To my knowledge, we are one of only 2 or maybe 3 people ever to get them to produce in captivity. They are amazing newts, and a lot of fun to keep. Here are a few photos of what they look like.

The adults, they are about 6 inches.....
015.jpg

The newtlets started like this.....
kaiserieggs3-10002.jpg

Then this....
010-1.jpg

This.....
014.jpg

Now they have arms and legs.....
027.jpg

And finally, fully through metamorphosis but still retaining their gills.....
023.jpg

Now their gills are most of the way gone. They have been a very fun project. I do have some available if anyone is interested. PM for details.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Very cool. I have raised axolotls before so I know what a labor of love it is feeding umpteen times a day and changing the water constantly. Congratulations are well deserved!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Tell us more about the daily and weekly up keep. What do they eat, what temps and humidity.

When I was a kid I put a salamander in my moms terrarium without telling her. The thing lived for well over a year without any intervention. One day she finally saw it and freaked.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
bettinge said:
Tell us more about the daily and weekly up keep. What do they eat, what temps and humidity.

When I was a kid I put a salamander in my moms terrarium without telling her. The thing lived for well over a year without any intervention. One day she finally saw it and freaked.

They like most newts can be kept on land or on water. My adults I have always kept in a 20 gal long tank. They prefer frozen blood worms. They will also eat brine shrimp, but they tend to clog the filter. They will take chopped earth worms and live black worms.

On land they can eat chopped earth worms, small crickets, meal worms, wax worms, etc. I am going to raise some of these little ones in a large terrestrial set up.

The larvae would gorge themselves on baby brine shrimp (BBS). I had 2 hatcheries going for quite some time hatching a lot of BBS. I would also add chopped live black worms which they would chow too. As larvae, they would not take the frozen blood worms.

As for temps, they have to be kept cool. Their water temp cannot get above 75F or so. I am told they can tolerate slightly warmer on land if kept moist. Mine are thriving in my basement. They are a lot of fun!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They do look like beautiful animals. Metamorphosing is so very interesting. Sometimes you have to wonder how nature came up with some of these things. How many did you end up with and how many did you start with (the youngings)?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Very cool to see the photo's from the small egg to such an awesome looking animal..

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
That is so cool :) congratulations on the newts

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like the spots.

Status