Newly rescued Horsefield in the UK (diarrhea, poor appetite)

KronksMom

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
That's a Russian tort, I'm not sure subspecies, but it looks like a lady to me. A photo of her whole plastron (belly) including the tail would make it a little easier to be sure. Definitely follow Joesmum's recommendation of coco coir or coco husk, or any of the other things found on Tom's care sheet would be good substrates. Play sand is an impaction risk and organic top soil contains plant matter that could be harmful to her.

Ribena

Cardiff UK
Hi everyone,

We're excited to be here! I managed to rescue an approximately 2.5 year old Horsefield tortoise last week. I'm completely new to tortoises, but I've been researching like mad, so I will hopefully do a better job than his previous owners. I have a couple of questions. Hi I’m also in uk I’ve had my 5 yr old Russian for 2 mths , he’s only ever twice pooped and peed in his soak , I don’t know why but he seems to like to do it on hard surfaces haha

Firstly, he's got diarrhoea, and his urates often look more like water, and often doesn't wait for his bath before going. I've been bathing him every morning, hoping to keep him hydrated and encourage regular movements. What else can I do? How worried should I be?

Secondly, he's not eating well. I have researched what's good and what's not to feed him, so I'm certain I'm not inadvertently poisoning him. I didn't want to feed him the same stuff as the previous owners as I noticed that he had diarrhoea when I went to collect him. The only things that he will really eat are different varieties of (safe) yellow flowers, and then only when fed by hand. What else can I do? Or will he settle down in time?

Thirdly, his hind legs seem quite weak. Will they get stronger the more UVB and calcium he gets?

Lastly, he still doesn't have a name, so looking for insipration, I'm trying to work out which of the three species he might be. Unfortunately, due to poor husbandry (I assume), his shell formation isn't marvellous. So, while I've tried to identify him using the comparisons of round/elongated shell seen from above, and slightly domed/flat shell seen from the side, I am still in the dark! I believe Horsefieldii Horsefiedii are the most commonly imported to the UK, so that might have a bearing. Is it possible he's a cross between subspecies? Does anyone have any other tips that might help me, like markings, etc?

Thanks so much for all your wonderful replies in advance!

Ribena

Cardiff UK
Hi I’m also in UK , my Russian is 5 , I’ve had him about two and a half months , in tat time he’s only ever pooped and peed twice , he seems to prefer doing his business on concrete or a hard surface for some reason . I’m no expert just learning myself but I’d be happy with clear urine , perhaps he’s had too much fibre or has a parasite as apparently they can get worms but honestly I’d wait for one of the professionals to reply and help out xx

Ribena

Cardiff UK
Hi I’m also in UK , my Russian is 5 , I’ve had him about two and a half months , in tat time he’s only ever pooped and peed twice ,in his soaks he seems to prefer doing his business on concrete or a hard surface for some reason . I’m no expert just learning myself but I’d be happy with clear urine , perhaps he’s had too much fibre or has a parasite as apparently they can get worms but honestly I’d wait for one of the professionals to reply and help out xx

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi I’m also in UK , my Russian is 5 , I’ve had him about two and a half months , in tat time he’s only ever pooped and peed twice , he seems to prefer doing his business on concrete or a hard surface for some reason . I’m no expert just learning myself but I’d be happy with clear urine , perhaps he’s had too much fibre or has a parasite as apparently they can get worms but honestly I’d wait for one of the professionals to reply and help out xx
I very mich doubt that he has only peed and pooped twice. You just haven’t found ot @Ribena. Either that or you have a very sick tortoise

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Have you soaked the tortoise in shallow warm water 32C ish temp? If not try for 20 / 30 mins and you should get some movement !

Ubercat

Sheffield
I should get the results on Thursday :)

Ubercat

Sheffield
That's a Russian tort, I'm not sure subspecies, but it looks like a lady to me. A photo of her whole plastron (belly) including the tail would make it a little easier to be sure. Definitely follow Joesmum's recommendation of coco coir or coco husk, or any of the other things found on Tom's care sheet would be good substrates. Play sand is an impaction risk and organic top soil contains plant matter that could be harmful to her.
Hi everyone,

We're excited to be here! I managed to rescue an approximately 2.5 year old Horsefield tortoise last week. I'm completely new to tortoises, but I've been researching like mad, so I will hopefully do a better job than his previous owners. I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, he's got diarrhoea, and his urates often look more like water, and often doesn't wait for his bath before going. I've been bathing him every morning, hoping to keep him hydrated and encourage regular movements. What else can I do? How worried should I be?

Secondly, he's not eating well. I have researched what's good and what's not to feed him, so I'm certain I'm not inadvertently poisoning him. I didn't want to feed him the same stuff as the previous owners as I noticed that he had diarrhoea when I went to collect him. The only things that he will really eat are different varieties of (safe) yellow flowers, and then only when fed by hand. What else can I do? Or will he settle down in time?

Thirdly, his hind legs seem quite weak. Will they get stronger the more UVB and calcium he gets?

Lastly, he still doesn't have a name, so looking for insipration, I'm trying to work out which of the three species he might be. Unfortunately, due to poor husbandry (I assume), his shell formation isn't marvellous. So, while I've tried to identify him using the comparisons of round/elongated shell seen from above, and slightly domed/flat shell seen from the side, I am still in the dark! I believe Horsefieldii Horsefiedii are the most commonly imported to the UK, so that might have a bearing. Is it possible he's a cross between subspecies? Does anyone have any other tips that might help me, like markings, etc?

Thanks so much for all your wonderful replies in advance!
Definitely a Russian (Horsfield)

Photos of the enclosure and lighting will help is to check that over for you if you want :)

7153A0AD-9708-4DEC-ADB9-4FFD542DC23C.jpeg

Attachments

• 34124459-B822-4AAC-9024-0256CA789972.jpeg
    34124459-B822-4AAC-9024-0256CA789972.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 5

Ubercat

Sheffield
Definitely a Russian (Horsfield)

Photos of the enclosure and lighting will help is to check that over for you if you want :)

The substrate is coming in a few days :) My plan is to fit a board with a hole at the opposite end to the lights, to make a bedroom. Then move the UVB bulb in a bit, and the combination lamp and basking rock to the end. I think the tortoise will get a bit more UV light that way because he’ll have to go through it to the warmth. Any thoughts? :) thanks :)

Attachments

• 5B0836FF-6AFB-4176-89FF-7CEA1F2B87A4.jpeg
    5B0836FF-6AFB-4176-89FF-7CEA1F2B87A4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 59C2F3EB-5F4C-40DD-BD63-E076F01E9968.jpeg
    59C2F3EB-5F4C-40DD-BD63-E076F01E9968.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

KronksMom

Illinois
Just be aware that they can completely disappear. It really freaked me out to not be able to find him, and I would go poking at his substrate until I was sure where he was. After a little bit I calmed down, it's his natural instinct to hide like that.

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_124943.jpg
    IMG_20200705_124943.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20191215_192247(0).jpg
    20191215_192247(0).jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20191218_092946.jpg
    20191218_092946.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

KronksMom

Illinois
He is, they love to be able to hide! Whether it's burrowing or inside of plants, that's where he's happiest and feels the safest. When I have him out with us, I'll often cover him up with a dish cloth and he'll just barely poke his little head out. He's watching everything, but that way he feels more secure. That's why you want your enclosure to have plenty of hides and deep enough substrate for him to burrow down into.

KronksMom

Illinois
I love when they stretch out like that! Little long necks :) Just a couple suggestions, clamps like that can be very dangerous. If it fails, that light would fall in on your little one, and there are some horror stories on here of them even starting fires. @Yvonne G maybe you could post a picture of what he should do instead? Also, that water dish doesn't look very deep, but terracotta saucers have very gentle slopes, and they're textured for little tort feet. Not to mention being super cheap. I'd just hate to have your baby flip himself upside down climbing in or out of the water dish. But again, as long as the whole thing isn't much taller than where his top and bottom shell meet, and you keep it pushed down into the substrate, it shouldn't be high priority for an adult russian. They're great climbers.

Ubercat

Sheffield
Right! The clamps got to go!! Also, I have lots of the terracotta plant dishes, so that’s no problem at all.

I love it when he stretches his neck out too!

Ubercat

Sheffield
Just as an update for you lovely people who have been taking an interest and advising - I got lab results back today - turn’s out that Khan does have worms and nematodes, which will partly explain the diarrhoea. He’s been doing a lot better on his new diet anyway, but getting him parasite-free should clear the last of it up, hopefully :) Other than that, he’s really started perking up, he’s even doing laps!