Newly Finished Indoor EBT Enclosure for Winters

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Ok, I was trying to wait until the grass had grown in, but I couldn’t stand it! So, here’s my 6 x 2 x 2 indoor enclosure for winters.

First, here’s some pics of Bug, my 4 yr old EBT:
Bug1.jpg

Bug2resize.jpg

And, here’s some pics of the finished enclosure:
viv9resize.jpg

viv12REDO.jpg

I did a hydroton pellet/mesh base, with 4-6” of eco-earth/orchid bark/leaf litter (sterilized), and added an isopod colony to help keep things clean (I hope they breed faster than he finds em ! ). The base layer seems to be helping out greatly with humidity and soil aridity, so far!
The background is GreatStuff expanding foam & the same substrates I used for the bedding; the same technique the frog people typically use .
The tub is the TurtleTub III from turtletub.com, with a Marineland C-160 filtering the water. I’d initially planned to make a waterfall, but had too many problems with leaking, so the waterfall in the corner got repurposed into a planter .
The hide and waterfa…er, planter!...I made from Styrofoam, grout, and Shields-All sealer, using the techniques on lizard-landscapes.com. As for the enclosure itself, it’s an almagamation of a design plan I found online for snake enclosures, plus some extra things I wanted to add in (the mesh top/ hinged lid, 8” litter dam/view obstruction from the plexi, ect.). The whole box is ¾” plywood, and I put a pond liner in the entire base before everything else went in just to make sure I didn’t have issues with the moisture affecting the wood.
For lighting, I’m running 2 ReptiSun 5.0’s, a 150W bask (w/dimmer so I can regulate it), and a 75W moonlight bulb. After some fiddling, I think I’ve got it dialed in just right; the bask sits at 95F, thermal gradient goes down to 80F on the hide end, and the hide itself is staying around 78F.
It’s probably overkill, but I figure that it’s due to get 50 + years worth of use, and I wanted something that would look nice since it had to take up so much room!! He’ll still spend summers outside, but hopefully this solves winter from here on out . What do you guys think?

Didn't wanna overload the post limit, here's some more:

viv2.jpg

viv10.jpg

It wasn't planted yet here, but it shows the hood off and the lid:
viv1.jpg

:)

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Arkansas
Mky2k said:
That is awesome! All that for just one turtle? He's gonna love it! :D

Thanks!! Kinda overkill, I know; I just figured it'd be cheaper to do it once all the way than to keep coming up with different setups...at least that was the initial idea anyway, haha! I think the grasses will take enough to let him check it out this weekend; he may bulldoze it all flat, but I'm hoping the size of it will let one part heal while he's tearing up another :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is so pretty! Very inventive and natural-looking.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Cool. Are those real plants?

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Arkansas
webskipper said:
Cool. Are those real plants?

Thanks! Yes, all of the big ones are Petco specials :), the $2 ones that are safe for reptiles; I've just had them for about a year so they've grown up a bit. I also planted some tortoise grazing mix sporadically all over it; it's coming up pretty nicely so far! I don't know how much of that he'll actually eat (not much I'm guessing), but I wanted some cover over all of it and figured that was my safest bet. I still have a couple hanging plants to add, I just haven't split them yet! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
And live the pics of Bug- looks like a little attitude there! :)

That should be "I love" the pics, not "live" the pics! :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think that would look fine in any living room. As for a Winter home for a Box Turtle, it's FANTASTIC!! Absolutely beautiful, and your little Eastern is growing just beautifully. I'm very impressed!

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Arkansas
Thanks very much everyone, I really appreciate it! :)

I'll post some more pics in a day or so when the grass fills in more...does anyone have any tips on that, by chance? It's coming up really quickly but I think it's a little sparse right now; think I should try re-seeding it, or will it bulk out on its own?

It's the 'tortoise grazing mix' from Carolina Pet Supply, btw; really nice stuff so far, if anyone has a need for forage seed I'd recommend it highly!

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Arkansas
Just an update now that the grass has grown in a little:

grass1.jpg

grass3.jpg

grass4.jpg

grass2.jpg

I think that next spring I might try to plant honeysuckle along the back wall to fill it in, but I'll have to research that; I don't know anything about how it well it would do...

Status
Not open for further replies.