Newest rescue...RF; experts, please look

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Just in from CO. Cost me a bundle to ship, but the previous owner needed help badly, so I agreed to pitch in.

His name was Sheldon, but every time I feed him he's "Starvin Like Marvin", so that stuck. Me and my techs at work call him "Marvin".

Marvin was a rescue from before. Someone dumped him off at Petco one night. He was found I a cardboard box, with some box tortoise commercial diet. The previous owner took him in, kept him a few years, and realized he's more work than she can handle (elderly).
After six months of looking for an experienced home, she came across my rescue organization and called me. She told me she called several rescue groups in CO that told her they either had no room or that they would live outside or be euthanized!!!!! What kind of a rescue kills animals?????

So, I have more rescues in my house. IMO, I'd rather just go buy another Rubbermaid, PowerSun and a bag of spring mix, than KILL an animal in need. Seriously people.

So, here he is.
Any input on approx age, sub species....anything...would be awesome. He's in a very warm, humid closed chamber, ReptiSun 12 hours, incandescent basking light, large water dish, and tons of bark/sphagnum. I fed him some cat kibbles and a dubia roach, plus a variety of greens.
He's outgoing, curious, and adjusting well.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382674219.997688.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1382674231.772835.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1382674240.566994.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1382674251.085324.jpg

I have several fosters, but this one is here to stay. I am having a closed chamber custom built, so advice on specific "easy care" plants would be great. I have a very deep, black thumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Wow your so lucky ! He's beautiful! Think greens for food ,they will eat treats to exclusion . So many red foot care sheets . Awesome pets!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm pretty excited about him. What a great little buddy.

For me, easy care, and one of our associate DVMs has a father who owns a nursery, so I'm gonna call in some favors, but it need everyone's help with what plants to get.

I kill plants. I kill ivy, cactus, everything.
Please do jot tell me to check tortoise table. I really need some sage advice on some tortoise friendly plants to ask for, that an idiot can handle. They will be in a 2x4x24" high closed chamber enclosure.

I will install a 24" ReptiSun fluorescent UVB, and have moist substrate of bark, peat and sphagnum.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hey Sandy,

Nice lil tort, congrats, and thanks to you for rescuing and even paying for shipping! Job very well done.

Do you have a measurement? I stink at sexing, but I anticipate others would like to know length to help guess the age.

It definatly is a "northern" RF, that cool lil hour glass on the light color plastron are dead give aways. As for which sub species and sex, im not sure. Pretty colors regardless :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello, Marvin! [TURTLE] Your luck just changed! Sandy, you're amazing!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
He's starting to look like Millie, etc. Usually the "waist" doesn't show that small and the "concavity" is what normally develops first - this is a Northern you have which develops at a different rate than a Brazilian ( aka Cherryhead ).. Brazilian shown here..

If your's was male there would be concavity starting.

She has much Colombian blood in her and has been raised in horrible dry conditions! Redfoots are not true "baskers" so all that light is not needed or required. Being OMNIVEROUS my experience has proven their D3 needs comes from their diet [ this is not a debate on how D3 is obtained!!! ].. so like all living animals it is required but not always / exclusively gotten from sunlight.

See this caresheet that has created perfect true F2 ( second generation ) hatchlings.. as a result of following it. Examples of results is seen at the bottom of the caresheet. [ this is not the only way to keep redfoot tortoises.. but it will work regardless where you live on the planet :rolleyes: ]

http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Redfoot NERD said:
He's starting to look like Millie, etc. Usually the "waist" doesn't show that small and the "concavity" is what normally develops first - this is a Northern you have which develops at a different rate than a Brazilian ( aka Cherryhead ).. Brazilian shown here..

If your's was male there would be concavity starting.

She has much Colombian blood in her and has been raised in horrible dry conditions! Redfoots are not true "baskers" so all that light is not needed or required. Being OMNIVEROUS my experience has proven their D3 needs comes from their diet [ this is not a debate on how D3 is obtained!!! ].. so like all living animals it is required but not always / exclusively gotten from sunlight.

See this caresheet that has created perfect true F2 ( second generation ) hatchlings.. as a result of following it. Examples of results is seen at the bottom of the caresheet. [ this is not the only way to keep redfoot tortoises.. but it will work regardless where you live on the planet :rolleyes: ]

http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

Wow, thank you so much for the information and link! I'm sorta overwhelmed at the current time with a bunch of new "tenants". I'm doing research on several species, plus my crazy job, plus my weekend job. Hahaha. When it rains it pours, right?

I appreciate everyone's help. I can Google until my fingers fall off, but after 20+ years in dog rescue, training, showing, breeding....I know there is nothing that replaces experienced persons to just open up and share their experience.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
What a beauty!
Raising him/her the Turtletary way, will definitely pay off!
Nice rescue, Sandy!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Hey Sandy! Congrats on the new addition. I know you said you kill plants but try spider plants and pothos. Mine have been thriving with basic care, low light and is pretty much sustained with the water I use when spraying/maintaining high humidity in the enclosure. Making more of them is also pretty simple through cuttings. The only thing that might damage the plants is when the torts start digging into the base of the plants to sleep. Have fun!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Thank you! I think I had a spider plant as a kid! Potho, not sure what that is, but googling now!

Here is a pic of my VERY temporary enclosure for Marvin. Hopefully custom house will be finished this weekend, and I can move him in there quickly.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382722893.464194.jpg

And here is his plastron, I see some concavity. Do you all concur?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382722970.636039.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Would anyone like to post pix of their indoor Redfoot enclosure? I'm looking for ideas for my 2 x 4 x 24" closed chamber. Sliding glass doors in the front

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I love him, Sandy! So much.
He's 9.5"? That's the same as my rescue redfoot, although mine is a female (and in Grenada, where I live, she's pretty much full grown).
Good luck with your enclosure and plants. I'm able to keep mine in my yard year round, so I don't have much advice in that area.

Keep us posted though....I love seeing the pictures.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
ILoveTortoises2 said:
Sulcata_Sandy said:
Would anyone like to post pix of their indoor Redfoot enclosure? I'm looking for ideas for my 2 x 4 x 24" closed chamber. Sliding glass doors in the front

This is my enclosure I made. Hope it helps :)

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-77503.html

Thanks for posting that link, good ideas three to implement. I appreciate the "shopping list" as well.