Newby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisetime

5 Year Member
Hi there everyone! My boyfriend is a huge turtle/tortoise lover and so yesterday we went out and i bought him a cute little Russian Tortoise. We think he's a boy (his tail is sideways, is that the correct way to tell?) and his name is Tortuga. He's all set up at his house and I know he will be the best owner because he would never want anything bad to happen to that sweet little tortoise. He's a little shy now but i've heard that they just need some adjustment time? Not surprising since he's in an unfamiliar environment. Could any of you tell me how to tell the age of a Russian Tortoise? Thank you!
:tort:
Hello everyone. My name is Todd and I am a new member. Thought I'd contribute my two cents. :) Climate was a factor in our choosing a Greek. We have had him for a week and its been an eventful week. Making his table as comfortable as possible for him has been my main concern. Luckily, we live in a place that naturally keeps the humidity so we're not needing to deal with that too much, although we monitor it everyday. We also chose our Greek because of our altitude, above 7500 ft. He seems pretty happy. Has anyone else taken altitude into consideration as part of the climate?
ahaha mine does this. If they can't see you then they think you can't see them. Sometimes mine also does this when he wants his light off for the night and I am a bit late.
Angi said:
Yes that is it. Thanks!!!!! Where do I get it?

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-p39.htm

A start. Please make sure it's food grade. Fresh water diatomaceous is preferred over salt water.
Some folk are able to get it at garden supply shops, others at farmer shops (Like TSC). If you get the food grade no one gets hurt - just be cautious when you apply. Wearing a fine particle mask/gas mask assists perfectly.

Pool grade is bad for you. Should only be used for pools.

Neatest thing about the earth/dust is that it is also used against bed bugs and fleas. Folk also use it as a food additive to get rid of worms in their livestock. Note: this is not a suggestion, just an added little 'huh - didn't know' bit o'information.

Good luck!
I'm Princess de Borja from the Philipines and i'm planning to own a sulcata. I'm still on the research phase because i want to be very well prepared when i acquire one.

Thanks
I'm just hoping to eventually be able to post.
Maybe I can get a credit report done and a blood test then I can post?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Welcome!
Hard to tell the age of a tortoise. As for the sexing, males have much larger tails, and a hook on the end of the tail. Females will have a short stubby tail and will grow larger than the males. How big is the tort? Could be too early to tell if its 4 inches or smaller.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tortoisetime:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

tortoisetime

5 Year Member
Arizona Sulcata said:
Welcome!
Hard to tell the age of a tortoise. As for the sexing, males have much larger tails, and a hook on the end of the tail. Females will have a short stubby tail and will grow larger than the males. How big is the tort? Could be too early to tell if its 4 inches or smaller.

I believe he is about 4 inches actually.

tortoisetime

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi tortoisetime:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

I am in Oregon. And you may call me anything:D

Status
Not open for further replies.