Newby to this forum and a bit of a Luddite technically !

Helen Ruff

Location (City and/or State)
Alnwick
Ok... here I am ... first time I’ve ever posted anything.... I love my tortoise‘s ... crap at the internet though ! ... fairly new to torts but had them decades ago as a child ( blue peter et al ) just trying out this forum as I read comments for about an hour a day..... I live in the north of the UK where the climate isn’t ideal but it’s great to be amongst a niche of individuals who love these gorgeous animals ...

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome Helen! Lots to learn & read & contribute. What kind of tortoise(s) do you own? Do they live outside, inside or both?

Reactions: Ink

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
Thanks so much !.... I have 4 Sulcatas ( 2 x quite small - not yet a year and one who is 3 and another who is around 10, plus two Aldabras who are about 18 months ish ).... coping ok for now but a bit concerned about the rubbish weather in the Uk moving forwards .... ! ..... I’m hoping that this site will give me grounded and practical advice whilst not being judgmental . I’m really up for being the bestest keeper but acknowledge that advice and good husbandry is key.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Wow, 4 Sullys & 2 Aldabras! Great. We need pix. You must have a nice large humid barn to house them all in. Welcome again.

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
Wow, 4 Sullys & 2 Aldabras! Great. We need pix. You must have a nice large humid barn to house them all in. Welcome again.
I’ll post some pics when I figure out how to do it !.... currently I have my largest Sulcata outside in a large enclosure where he can access an indoor heated chill out space .... my other 5 are indoors ( in my home office) where I faff about taking them outside as and when the sun comes out .... but keep them separate. The Aldabras are still very skittish but settling in well and eating well.... I‘m concerned about mixing them up together even for a short time frame as I’m worried about any bullying etc. Have to say I’m spending around 4 hours a day moving, mixing, and watching the weather ! My main concern is humidity levels.... I have a meter, I’m spraying and bathing daily.... but actually it’s so nice to have a forum to discuss things on rather than everyone thinking I’m a bit of an oddball !! ..... you guys are mostly in a fantastic climate but I can sense a struggle coming on as winter approaches .....

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yes. Winter is a pain here too. @Bee62 is in Germany and has a fee Sullys and Aldabras as well. She can help guide your journey if u have questions. Can’t be many Sully/Aldabra owners in the UK.

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
Yes. Winter is a pain here too. @Bee62 is in Germany and has a fee Sullys and Aldabras as well. She can help guide your journey if u have questions. Can’t be many Sully/Aldabra owners in the UK.
Thanks Mark.... I’ll keep checking in to the forum.... it’s great to know that folks out there are so supportive ?⚱️?

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
....proof that I’m a Luddite .... how did the cremation jar appear in my last post !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You probably hiccupped when clicking on the smiley faces.

Hi and welcome!

In my opinion what you need is a shed large enough to separate the species with enough room inside for them to walk around on those bad weather days when they can't go outside. The shed should be insulated and heated.

It's good that you're keeping them separate. . . not because of bullying though, but rather because one should never mix species due to disease they may give to each other.

DonnaMaria

NORTH SHIELDS
Hi Helen!
I also live in northern England (up near Newcastle). I'm a new tortoise keeper with a baby Horsfield. She is tiny and lives indoors so at present I'm not finding the weather a struggle. I found this forum and agree, the members are so helpful :)

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
You probably hiccupped when clicking on the smiley faces.

Hi and welcome!

In my opinion what you need is a shed large enough to separate the species with enough room inside for them to walk around on those bad weather days when they can't go outside. The shed should be insulated and heated.

It's good that you're keeping them separate. . . not because of bullying though, but rather because one should never mix species due to disease they may give to each other.
Hi Yvonne .... thanks for the comments - I’ve read lots of your knowledgeable posts over the last few months. Great to know there is a wealth of common sense and expertise out there. I’ve got a big outside area.... I’ll try and post some pictures ... but it’s the transition from a humid vivarium type set up to an insulated indoor set-up with good heat and lighting. Have to say at the moment my Sulcatas are beating the Aldabras hands down in the “characterful and intelligence” sector..... but my two Aldabras, Mallory and Irvine are still rather skittish but I’ve not had them too long .

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
Hi Helen!
I also live in northern England (up near Newcastle). I'm a new tortoise keeper with a baby Horsfield. She is tiny and lives indoors so at present I'm not finding the weather a struggle. I found this forum and agree, the members are so helpful :)
Hi DonnaMaria ! .... lovely to hear from someone local ! ..... many of the posts are from people who have torts in the fantastic warm areas of the States....I’m rather jealous but trying to do my best in the warm sunny days we’ve had recently by putting mine outside as much as I can. Thankyou for welcoming me to the forum.