Newbies Saying Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveTheDadHaileeTheDaughter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello Everyone ! My daughter and I just got two Sulcatas last sunday, they are supposed to be 3yrs old. When we picked them up they were bright eyed, nice clear noses but did notice some pyramiding, previous owner didnt use calcium much,no UVB an not sure on food. But we are using 10.0 UVA/UVB,Day and night heat lamps,Calcium,dandelion,spring mix, some pumkin, and timothy hay I soak in hot water and add to food mix, I bed their hide in the hay also and have seen them eating it down too. First couple nights we soaked em in warmish water, then skipped a night, they seem to love the soaking! We are totally new to this beyond all the reading we've done so any input is greatly appreciated. One thing im lost on is how much/often to feed, daily calcium or every couple days? I put a cuttle bone in the pen after I chipped the hard stuff off the back an they are chomping on that too quite a bit. Thanks and if you have any suggestions We are all ears !! Thank you !!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome. You will get some fabulous advice here, but not from me, other than go through the old treads and read everthing that has to do with Salcatas. This is the best place to read UP TO DATE info. I have two CDTs and was so confused before I found TFO.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Welcome!
Yep, there are quite a few folks here that know them well, not me though, just what I've read as well.

I'd suggest you take some pics of your enclosure and post that in the Sulcata section and give as much detail as you can about how you're keeping them (temps day and night and at what locations). The sully experts will then be able to help point out any areas that may be lacking.

sounds like you're off to a good start though.

Tortoises are incredibly rewarding pets, true life long companions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Dave and Hailee. Welcome. If that 10.0 bulb is a coil type flourescent, go shut it off right now!!! Those coil bulbs have caused some serious problems before. If its the tube type, it won't hurt anything, but its not sufficient for UV. You'll need a MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) unless you live somewhere warm enough for year round sun. Where DO you live?

Here's a care sheet I typed up. Its really for babies, but since you are fighting pyramiding and poor care prior to you, these things will probably work well for you too? I'm still doing all these things with my three year old. How long are they and how much do they weigh?

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

Your diet and supplement routine sound good so far. Just keep adding variety to what you already got.

Fire away with the questions as soon as you've had a chance to check out the forum. We all love to help... and we all love pics too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dave and Hailee:

Welcome to the forum!!

What part of the country do you live in? Just curious if your new sulcatas are going to be able to live outside much. Once you've become accustomed to the format here on the forum, we'd love to see some pictures of your new babies.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Dave & Hailee welcome to the TFO do you have any pic's you can post :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well Hello Dave N daughter ..... welcome to the forum !
aka ..... " your new addiction" ...

Cheers!

JD~:)

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and thank you Tom for the info/care sheet, unfortunately the bulb is a coil type bulb I hadnt seen any ill reports on em till now but I wanna make the drive this weekend to find new substrate so i'll see if I can find the other type of bulb. We live in Northeast Ohio where its cold cold cold right now But I have them housed down in my shop where its nice and warm an humid. I have a indoor pond set up with my koi in it so its a decent environment I think/hope. Tried to post pics for some reason they dont show but i'll keep trying, thanks again !!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Dave and Hailee :)

Danny

5 Year Member
Ohio
Is it permissable to post links to YouTube here? ive not been able to upload pics/vids here but was able to transfer some to that site.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DaveTheDadHaileeTheDaughter said:
Is it permissable to post links to YouTube here? ive not been able to upload pics/vids here but was able to transfer some to that site.

Yes you tube links are okay.

For pics try http://tinypic.com/ Upload any size photo and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post. You don't have to sign up or have an account or anything.

5 Year Member
Ohio
Asleep on the cuttlebone after eating their dinner !! Thanks for the picture help Tom!!
of68n4.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I suggest that you ditch the sand substrate and get something like cypress mulch, orchid bark, coconut coir, etc. When sand gets on the food and they eat it accidentally, it might cause impaction. Not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.