Newbies and a Baby Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaranDulin

5 Year Member
My love and I just brought home a baby Sulcata today, and have affectionately named him (or her) Gandalf.

We unwisely did this before doing much research, and so we have already made mistakes, no doubt. But we want to raise a healthy and happy tortoise, and am willing to do anything to make sure we do it the right way. There is so much conflicting information out there, and we need help to make sure we do the right things to take care of little Gandalf. (And yes, before you mention it, we know very well that he will grow very big, and be very expensive, and we are willing to learn as we go and do whatever we need to-make a much larger enclosure, etc.- as he grows. Getting him was a huge commitment.)

We're from Missouri, and we found him in a local pet store. He was in a small glass cage with a couple of Redfoots and a Leopard. The bottom was covered with grass pellets and a bit of mulch, and they were munching on some lettuce. There was no hiding spot, but a heat bulb was above them.

The lady at the store urged us to get grass pellet for the bottom, and a rather expensive heat bulb contraption. She told us that we should feed him dark greens, veggies, and fruit, as well as soak him every two weeks. She also said that his temperature should stay between 85-90 degrees. So, the setup consisted of this: a 20 gallon aquarium we already own, grass pellets, a bit of spinach, a little tree thing (without the fake leaves) and a box he could hide in, with a lamp placed on the top of the cage to keep him warm. We soon after began to question her judgement, as the lamp brought his temperature up to about 100 degrees. He was cowering inside the tiny box, poor thing! So, what else was she wrong about?

We have since gone to a different store to get Gandalf a nice half-log he could hide under. He crawled right under it and fell asleep. Today must have worn him out! We also got a heating pad to place under his cage, to keep him warm. As well as a different light bulb with a lower wattage.

What temperature is he supposed to be, really? And what can I put his water in? I'm scared of his getting stuck in there, or drowning! He's only about 3", a little tiny baby. What should we really put in there, and what and how much should we feed him? What's the best way to keep him warm, and how often and how do I soak him? We're so concerned about him, and want him to be happy. We're already making plans about a bigger aquarium, probably 50 gallons. Would that be okay, and for how long?

Bless you if you bothered reading this. We're such concerned new parents, and we want our little Gandalf to be happy and healthy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
dark greens good, fruits and veggies bad? I would get rid of the rabbit stuff and go with a coconut fiber (AKA bed a beast) and dirt mix 50/50.
Amy type of water dish is good, just make sure he can get in and out easily. I like ti use terra cotta lids. soaking 4 or 5 times a week is good until they get bigger.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME.:D. First thing get rid of the substrate the pet store sold you. Read the threads at the bottom of my post. They give you a great way to raise your sulcata to be healthy and smooth. You will need a UVB light, not the coil kind. Lots of us like the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) it gives heat, light and UVB. the flourescent is fine too, does not give heat. You will also need a Che(ceramic heat emitter) for night time heat. A good heat and humidity gauge would be very helpful. The round puck like kind are not very accurate. A varied diet of weeds, flowers, greens and Mazuri tortoise diet. Most of us like the soaking every day in warm water for 20-30 minutes. Keep him warm while soaking. Basking temps should be 95-100, all over temps and night time temps should not be below 80 with a humidity of 80 or more. Keeping humidity will ve easier if you cover at least have the enclosure. Get him outside for some good sunshine everyday that the temps permit. Good luck, it's not as hard as it might sound.

stufine

5 Year Member
I am in the same boat as you. Pet store told me similar things. Mine even told me the pyramiding.is normal.

Read toms article. It is helping me tons. I am still trying to figure everything out.

I like the name. I tried to name mine from lotr but the wife wouldn't have it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi CaranDulin:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Go to the sulcata section of the forum and read the threads at the top of the section. We call them "stickies" don't ask me why. But these are important threads and will help you find the info you're looking for.

I have a suspicion you are using a clamp fixture for your light. If you get rid of that fixture and hang the light instead, you can go back to your expensive light and raise it up a bit. The way you adjust your temp is to raise or lower the light. I THINK that your "expensive" light is probably the light you want because it provides UVB, which the baby needs to make his calcium work.

Soak your baby every day. They need the moisture to grow smoothly.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Welcome and great job for doing your research to give your baby the proper care. There are many very helpful people on this forum to help us newbies.. There is hour and hours of reading on this forum. I suggest getting yourself a notebook to take notes and keep reading. You already have done a great job paying attention to your little guy and changing a few things.. You will get lots of advice and help on here. My tort is a 6 yr old 19 pounder I've had for 9 months so I don't know much about the babies. I do know that Willie was kept in various size aquariums with dry substrate and poor food and I'm working now to give him a better life and correct so of the pyramiding.. A lot of people will suggest a large Rubbermaid tote or you can check threads if you are handy at building things.. Welcome again and good luck! Don't forget o post pictures!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. There is a ton of info in the threads in my signature. Simply click away.

Glad you found us and hope we can help. Maybe after you get some experience and knowledge under your belt we can get to work on the pet store lady that is telling everyone all the wrong stuff.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
These are good water dishes! They are shallow pots! You can get the size right depending on how big he is! They are at Walmart right now for $2.00!

jason g.

5 Year Member
I would get rid of the 20 gallon tank in a couple of month he will out grow it. In 6 months time my baby rose went from 20 gallon tank she outgrew in 1 month. A 3 by 4 foot tote that is now her hide in her pool. And now I have her in a 59" children's pool. I'm hoping it will last longer than 5 months!!! Lol also I would soak her every day and lots of love and attention when he's not being a tort. (Sleeping, being lazy, eating, and pooping.Lol) also sun light and grazing in some grass and weeds. Your tort will love you.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
jason g. said:
I would get rid of the 20 gallon tank in a couple of month he will out grow it. In 6 months time my baby rose went from 20 gallon tank she outgrew in 1 month. And now I have her in a 59" children's pool. I'm hoping it will last longer than 5 months!!! Lol

Yeah...it'll last six months;) Just kidding! You should be fine for the first year! It'sd be a good idea to start planning something more permanent now!

CaranDulin

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for all the advice! I will certainly read through everything I can. I have another question--I should have mentioned it earlier. Gandalf's little house/aquarium will be in a place where highly asthmatic people will be for long amounts of time. So, are there any good hypoallergenic substrates out there? And is there anything I could give him to play with? He's shown to be pretty stubborn already, and even managed to shove a cup over a little when we let him roam on a table. We want to keep him happy. He's just precious. We really appreciate it! Any wisdom you have to offer, please do. I will work on getting pictures! Thank you so much again. (Oh, and stufine, that really stinks. We love the Lord of the Rings, and thought Gandalf would be the perfect name for him! And haha, when he's older and bigger, and we're trying to get him to move somewhere, we will get a kick out of telling him, "you shall not pass!")

Status
Not open for further replies.