Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
Hi There,
I'm sort of a newbie to this forum.
Let me introduce myself.
My name is Elisa and I own a CA Desert and a Sulcata.
I'm in love with tortoises and would have more if I didn't already have so many mouths to feed.
My husband and I own a business breeding Bearded Dragons-www.sunkisseddragons.com.
I love reptiles in general, but my favorite are tortoises.
My torties roam free in my yard. My DT is 13 years old and my sully is 2.
Last year, my DT's hit sexual maturity and I realized they were both males and had to seperate them. They fought constantly.
I very reluctantly had to rehome one to a local zoo. They have several species of torts and I knew he would have a great home. It was very sad. I visit him from time to time and he is very happy there.
I would love to have another sulcata, but I think 1 150lb tort will be quite enough in my yard someday.

You'll see me on here from time to time. I hope I am useful in giving advise as well.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Elisa :)

I'm suprised you have a Desert tortoise in Texas. I didn't think you could have one out of their native states?

Danny

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:

I'm suprised you have a Desert tortoise in Texas. I didn't think you could have one out of their native states?

Danny

Hi Danny,
The funny thing is, he was born here in TX. He is 13 yrs old and I've had him since he was the size of a quarter.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If I remember correctly there are actually like 4 tortoises that usually go by desert tortoise, theyt are in AZ NV CA and TX usually. So a desert tortoise in TX is not that unheard of. Of course it coulsd have always been a transplant also that just happen to find it's way to TX,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I imagine the Gopherus berlandieri, which is native to Texas, might possibly be called a "desert tortoise" in Texas, no? I doubt Texans would refer to the berlandieri as a "Texas tortoise." But I may be wrong.

Anyway...Hi Elisa!

486113rp2xydmr7k.jpg

to the forum!!

I'm sorry you had to re-home your Sulcata, but it was for the best, as they shouldn't be kept in the same habitat as a desert tortoise. Might make each other sick (or dead).

Glad to have you here with us.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
egyptiandan said:

Danny

I think you might be suprised at how many there are in different states. I had one here in Nebraska and I checked and found it was legal. Once they have been taken across state lines, they don't really want them to come back into CA for example. It is illegal for them to leave their native states however.

Eliza nice to have you here. Must have been hard to give up the DT, they sure weave themselves into your heart. Nice you caqn still visit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.