Status
Not open for further replies.

respublica

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, my name is Long from Orange County, CA. I just got two new Greek Tortoises and they're a few months old, still tiny. Been reading a few of the threads and there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable and friendly folks here! :)

Question: When I brought them home yesterday from a reptile dealer, the little guys were very active, crawling everywhere to explore their new enclosure---they did this for hours. And as soon as I turned off the light and they quickly went to sleep (heat light was still kept on).

Today them seem much slower and weren't moving around like yesterday. They did eat, but also did a lot of basking and started to burrow in at 5pm to sleep, even before I turned off the lights. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
hi and welcome. Sometimes babies will act like that in new environments. What kind of bulb r u using? What r the Temps in the enclosure? R u providing humidity? If so, what r those temps?
[/align]
align=right]
respu blica said:
Hi everyone, my name is Long from Orange County, CA. I just got two new Greek Tortoises and they're a few months old, still tiny. Been reading a few of the threads and there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable and friendly folks here! :)

Question: When I brought them home yesterday from a reptile dealer, the little guys were very active, crawling everywhere to explore their new enclosure---they did this for hours. And as soon as I turned off the light and they quickly went to sleep (heat light was still kept on).

Today them seem much slower and weren't moving around like yesterday. They did eat, but also did a lot of basking and started to burrow in at 5pm to sleep, even before I turned off the lights. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

respublica

5 Year Member
I'm using a Reptile Glo 10 UVB light and a 100W Infrared Basking light by Expo Terra. I sprayed enclosure w/ a mist spray bottle, temp is probably 70s, basking area high 80s.

I'm sure you're right about the new environment, I might have too high an expectation being that they were extremely active when I brought them home Sat. late afternoon.

I will readjusted the UVA so that it will aim at a more direct angle downwards to produce more heat.

Thanks!

sibi said:
hi and welcome. Sometimes babies will act like that in new environments. What kind of bulb r u using? What r the Temps in the enclosure? R u providing humidity? If so, what r those temps?
[/align]
align=right]
respu blica said:

Thanks!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome..do you have temperature and humidity gages in your setup?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I want to add that temps at 70 is too low for them. Keep temps above 80. Also, no lights should be visible when they sleep. How r they doing now? Btw, is that coil type UV bulb?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That was my thought too. They're not warm enough.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hello, congratulations on getting the greeks. They are marvelous.

I have the same thinking, they might feel a bit too cold, so they bask more. You might want to get another heating element for your babies and yes, no light at night :)

respublica

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the form, it's feels like a real community!

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions, so as a result I've bought a humidity gage as well as two thermometer, which has helped me monitor the enclosure's temp and conditions.

I also have switch out the spiral bulb (which I've learned is bad for their eyes) w/ a strip light.

They seem more active now but still sleep early (5-6pm), but I figure it's bc of the winter season.

kanalomele said:
Welcome to TFO

respublica

5 Year Member
Yes, just got them based on the suggestions given. Thanks everyone!

mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome..do you have temperature and humidity gages in your setup?

respublica

5 Year Member
I read some of the other threads and realized that the coil type bulbs are bad for the torts so I just got a strip light. Seems to already make a difference, their eyes don't close as often and they seem more active.

sibi said:
I want to add that temps at 70 is too low for them. Keep temps above 80. Also, no lights should be visible when they sleep. How r they doing now? Btw, is that coil type UV bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.