Kahoona103

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Good day to all,
I am a new Eastern Box Turtle owner. I acquired this little guy about a month after hatching in August of 2019. I live in the New Jersey Pinelands which is a majority of Pitch Pine and oak. The area is rich with eastern box turtles and for years I would find them while hunting or walking. I have even had them lay eggs in my back yard. Then last year I decided to get a box turtle for my grandkids to see and feed and learn about. I did not want to take an adult out of its habitat, so I purchased it from a reputable breeder in the area.

This little guy (Not sure of sex) has flourished in his enclosure. He was two months old when we got him and is now a good two inches. His eyes are perfect. He is alert and hides most of the day. He has water and plenty of hiding areas under the Sphagnum. I do have some questions that I hope the forum members will help me with.
  1. I have him in natural soils from the woods. (a mixture of sand, peat, Sphagnum & vegetative matter) Is that OK? No problems so far.
  2. I feed it mealworms, earthworms, wood roaches, grasshoppers, and grubs. He does not take green leaf or fruit. Is this a problem for nutrients?
  3. How much food should he be fed?
  4. Heat - The tank is 20 gal long for now. I have two lights, Fluorescent Full Spectrum Terrarium Lamp and an incandescent terrarium light. No heat rock or pad. Temp in the room goes to 65 at night. Do I need a heat source?
  5. How can you determine sex?
Well that's enough for now. Thanks in advance.

Chief

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I do not keep boxies, but I must say Haza! To you fine sir for making such an educated decision. First captive or wild then to teach your grandchildren not as their pet! Can you include pictures? Oh and welcome to TFO

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I chop up a bunch of greens (I feed baby tortoises, so always have greens handy) into tiny pieces, with a bit of fruit. Place a pile of this food on a feeding tile then put some live food on top of the pile. The turtle gets some of the greens when he bites at the live food, and eventually will accept the greens and fruit without the live food on top.

Main thing to remember is to keep him moist. They dry out (dehydrate) very quickly because of their small size. Also, plenty of shade so they can get away from the bright lights.

Welcome to the Forum!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
welcome. males will develop red or orange eyes, females will have brown eyes, that is one easy way to sex, but I don't know what age that is apparent

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
welcome. males will develop red or orange eyes, females will have brown eyes, that is one easy way to sex, but I don't know what age that is apparent
at least Eastern Box turtles are this way