Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So i made the changes and her temps are now 100+ in basking and 80 on cool side. Humidity 55% - 65%....and she is STILL staying under the basking side..she even burrows there to sleep. Its like she found her spot and won't leave. She has been eating, drinking, and pooping daily. So what am i doing wrong? I don't want to make her temps too high.
If she's hanging out under the basking lamp, its because she wants to be warmer. Imagine a hot sunny day in the part of the world where they come from. 80 over in the shade would be cool on a summer day. Ambient temps might be closer to 100 in some areas of their range. Eventually, the tortoise will get warm enough and move. Bump up ambient al little more. Ambient daytime temps in the 90s won't hurt anything.

Hbomb

Elk Grove
That shouldn't be possible for her to stay there all day if it's warm enough.. at some point she has to get too hot and leave.. is it low enough?

Low enough? Basking temps are 100-102F....ambient temp got up to 80F but averaged about 79-78F.

Hbomb

Elk Grove
If she's hanging out under the basking lamp, its because she wants to be warmer. Imagine a hot sunny day in the part of the world where they come from. 80 over in the shade would be cool on a summer day. Ambient temps might be closer to 100 in some areas of their range. Eventually, the tortoise will get warm enough and move. Bump up ambient al little more. Ambient daytime temps in the 90s won't hurt anything.

Okay i am gonna try that. Thanks !

Hbomb

Elk Grove

I guess i worry that i will dehydrate her
But she would know where he water is

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I guess i worry that i will dehydrate her
But she would know where he water is
Daily soaks, damp substrate, humid hide, and spraying the tortoise and the food, will all help to prevent dehydration.

Hbomb

Elk Grove
Daily soaks, damp substrate, humid hide, and spraying the tortoise and the food, will all help to prevent dehydration.

Okay so infinally got new batteries for my temp gun and her basking spot was 90F! The probe thermometer was not accurate obviously

So i got a 150 watt bulb and now the basking temp ranges from 105-110 and cold side is 83F. I am worried that the basking temp is way too high. But if its too hot she can just move away right???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay so infinally got new batteries for my temp gun and her basking spot was 90F! The probe thermometer was not accurate obviously

So i got a 150 watt bulb and now the basking temp ranges from 105-110 and cold side is 83F. I am worried that the basking temp is way too high. But if its too hot she can just move away right???
I would raise the bulb just a little bit. Yes they can move out of it, but better to not have it so hot.

Hbomb

Elk Grove
I would raise the bulb just a little bit. Yes they can move out of it, but better to not have it so hot.

She STILL is sleeping under it!!! ???? this is getting frustrating. I think i am gonna move the light to the other side to see what happens.

Hbomb

Elk Grove
I moved her basking lamp to the opposite end of the tank and its all good now! Perfect temps and she is moving about the tank like normal. Thanks again for all your help