Newbie with some questions.

tyree213

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans,LA via Los Angeles
Hi my son wants a tortoise for his birthday which is in about 3 weeks. Im doing a bunch of research online an quite frankly I am not sure what to do. I do not have much experience with tortoises, just iguanas as far as reptiles go. But I always thought they were pretty cool. Im currently in Los Angeles. We are military and might be moving to rainy Seattle in the Summer. We have 2 English Bulldogs and a Jack Russell mix.

Which type is more people friendly and what are you guys using for housing? Is it ok to get 2 or is it better to start with 1?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Russians make a good beginner tortoise. Get just one, pairs can not live together. Tortoises do not want or need a friend.
Hermmans and Greeks also are good starters. Please read up on all the info we have here. There is a lot of bad info out there in Internet land, at pet stores and even some vets.
Also, be sure you have the room to keep a tort away from the dogs. They do not mix, even the best trained dog will make a chew toy out of a tortoise, we have seen it too many time on this forum. They old, my dog wouldn't hurt a fly. Then we have to hear about the tort getting chewed up or killed.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

tyree213

I think we are going to go with a Sulcata. Can those Mercury Vapor Bulbs be hooked up to a timer? I ask because I think I read somewhere that the bulb blows out? And as far as night time what are you guys using? Thanks.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think we are going to go with a Sulcata. Can those Mercury Vapor Bulbs be hooked up to a timer? I ask because I think I read somewhere that the bulb blows out? And as far as night time what are you guys using? Thanks.
For nighttime a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is perfect. It produces warmth but no light. Look at the threads in the Sulcata forum, and also the enclosures section to get ideas for the perfect set-up, so you don't waste money on the wrong things. You'll get better advice here than at a pet store.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Welcome, and good luck with your new pet. Definitely do some digging here on my species you're interested in--there's a lot of misinformation footing round the Internet and places that sell pets and supplies.

Myroli

Just making sure, but you know sulcatas get gigantic, and need a LOT of space when they are older, and they can live an extremely long time

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Hi Tyree and welcome.
If you have doubts I really suggest you to continue the research. Tortoises need a big space if you want them to be healthy and I think a lot of them live for long time, make sure that you guys are down for that kind of responsibility.

Since you are military family ( Thank you for your service) do you think that you might move outside the States?
I worked for the military vet overseas and they have certain regulations about pets cats and dogs are more easy to move. There is a lot of paperwork to do but if you do it right and on time your pert can go with you. In the case of tortoises is so much different and in some countries do not allowed exotic animals because of the possible diseases ( whether your pet has it or not)

I'm hope you don't feel like I'm lecturing you. In just giving you the big picture of what I did in regard with the military. It was very heart broken to see that people left pets behind including dog and cats just because they didn't got informed and didn't have time to do the whole process. I adopted the white dog that you seen in my profile pic. from Spain. And I you can travel with them it's expensive to pay for their move. The military don't pay for it.

Best luck!

tyree213

Thanks Evy for your input , we are Coast Guard so overseas assignments are limited and highly desirable, and we have not put in for one, a main reason being that we can not ship our english bulldogs in the summer. The chances of us getting selected and directed to go overseas are slim to none. I am aware of the space needed and am constantly looking up and comparing info on tortoise species. We really like the fact that the Sulcatas get big.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks Evy for your input , we are Coast Guard so overseas assignments are limited and highly desirable, and we have not put in for one, a main reason being that we can not ship our english bulldogs in the summer. The chances of us getting selected and directed to go overseas are slim to none. I am aware of the space needed and am constantly looking up and comparing info on tortoise species. We really like the fact that the Sulcatas get big.
I'll admit the size is one of the things that attracted me to having a sulcata. There is a lot of work, especially in the beginning. I can't explain why, but every time I see Charlie, even if he doesn't pay attention to me, it makes me happy. He has become more sociable over the years.