Newbie with shell rot questions, and pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiJenn

5 Year Member
Yep, another newbie here. I was referred by a member of a general reptile forum that I visit, and he suggested I try posting my question here where there are more tortoise experts.

Long story very short: I currently own an adult male redfoot tortoise. I have lots of exotic animal experience, but mostly with mammals, so I consider myself to still be a tortoise novice. I'd like to get him a companion, since red-foots are a social breed. However, adults redfoots are very scarce here, I've never seen one available aside from him. I have been offered an adult female, which would be great except I am concerend that she has 'shell rot' of some sort.

See the pictures below. There is one really deep, dark spot. The rest is along the scutes on the lower shell, along the edges, where they are soft and flaking. Otherwise the shell feels hard. The animal otherwise shows no health problems, eats well, toddles around, etc.

I need to get some advice before I purchase the tortoise... so I know what I am getting into. The nearest tortoise vet is several hour's drive away, so I would prefer to treat her myself if that is an option. (It should be noted that I do all my own mammal-vetting, dosing medicines, diagnosing, tooth-trimming, etc, etc. so I'm not totally new to the concept.)

Ok. So... what is wrong with this tort? Is it bacterial? Fungal? Contagious? Lethal? Permanently crippling (will it weaken her and make her susceptible to everything later in life?), What can be done? And anything else you can think of.

Also, am I correct in believing this is a female? (The tail is much shorter and blunter than on my male).

Thank you ALL in advance for any and all help rendered!

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/RandomClutter/corn6.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/RandomClutter/corn9.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/RandomClutter/corn7.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/RandomClutter/corn8.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't answer your questions, but search shell rot on the upper right of this forum and you will find other past post/threads on the subject. Hope this helps until others who know join in. Good luck and welcome to TFO

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
I can't answer your questions, but search shell rot on the upper right of this forum and you will find other past post/threads on the subject. Hope this helps until others who know join in. Good luck and welcome to TFO

that's shell rot (I think). it is recommended to wash it with diluted betadine solution OR nolvasan one time. Then, apply fungicidal cream (clotrimazole) daily until it clears up. Keeping the plastron fairly dry during this time is a good idea. Replacing substrate or thoroughly cleaning, baking or freezing it has been suggested.

however, that looks pretty severe and deep in some spots. you may just want to get a vet's advice and consultation.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree - shell rot, but totally treatable. I do exactly what Peter suggests and have had great success. Good luck to you! :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum :)

Yes, that is shell rot. It is sooo easily treatable. However, I would not make the purchase unless the seller is willing to lower the price due to the effort that you will have to expend.

She does appear to be female.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ReptiJenn:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Athlete's foot cream!!! Keep fairly dry until it clears up.

Just a helpful hint. You can have a moist habitat for the tortoise's health, without it being a wet habitat. Use a substrate that tends to hold the water underneath, but will dry out on top, like cypress mulch or orchid bark.

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
I adopted a RT a week ago who came with shell rot. He's come a long way in a week. I followed their advice very closely. Bathed with betadine and daily applications of athletes foot cream. His shell was worse than hers and looks way better already. He's even got a growth line going on on the top part of his shell between the dome and the edge part. If you get her you will do fine, but I think she should be kept separate until its cleared up. Good luck!

ReptiJenn

5 Year Member
Hello again!

First - sorry I've been so long returning with an update!

Second - thank you guys all so much for your advice!

Third - it's been a very long decision making process, but I have decided to take the chance on this girl! I discussed it repeatedly with the current owner, and we've agreed on a price. All of your information helped alot. I should have her in my hands by this weekend. I'll be setting her up in a seperate habitat, in a seperate room of the house, and picking up the medications listed at the pharmacy right away.

I'll post a longer update once I have her. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and jinx things by saying too much too soon. Kinda like counting chickens before they hatch. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.