Newbie with sad little sulcata

Nellie

Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Hello all! I am new to tortoise ownership, although I have kept turtles before. About five months ago I acquired a very sad little Sulcata Hatchling. He had a very large puncture wound in its side, a very bad respiratory infection, and worms. I probably shouldn't have brought him home, but I love lost causes. We went through lots of shots, and hundreds of dollars in vet bills. He is not currently ill in any visible way, but hasn't really grown. He does open his eyes and walk around a little bit, but he is much less active than other Sulcata I've seen.

I joined because I hope you all will be able to give me some insight into my tortoise's future, or give me some advice on how to best take care of him. I have a decent reptile vet, but i dont want to pay eighty dollars every time I want general information.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! !

Bless your heart! Bless your heart! ! !

You did most people may not did and some what succeeded. Congrats for what you had achieved so far and keep us updating the progress of this little fellow.

Hello and Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Since your baby has spent the first part of his life trying to recuperate from a puncture and poor care, you should start from scratch with him. Read Tom's thread about raising healthy hatchlings (you'll find it at the top of the Sulcata section) and go from there. I think once the baby is kept in a steady environment with moisture and overall warmth, he'll start to grow.

We'd love to see pictures of your baby.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Nellie welcome to the TFO from AZ . Good luck with your sulcata .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Last edited by a moderator:

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Welcome to the group! Hopefully his growth will pick up now that he is better.