Newbie with Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla

10 Year Member!
Hello, I'm looking for answers because have read/heard various things on how to care for a Redfoot. I think have the diet down, and the hydration but am now questioning how to set up her habitats.

I was thinking of having her outdoors during the sunlight part of the days in a safe enclosed area - its like a playpen for puppies that is totally screened in on all sides and is planted into the grass to keep it sturdy. It has netting over the top and also some solid plastic over the top to provide shade. What do you think of this? Of course I would put something for her to hide in there also plus water and food.

The reptile store suggested one of those plastic dog houses with a hole drilled in the top and a heat lamp attached through the hole. What do you think of that? Is it necessary to have a heat lamp outside if its in the 70's-80's?

For inside we want to build her a wooden enclosure for night and during bad weather - or get a terrarium. If she is outside most days does she still need a UV lamp in her indoor enclosure?

What temps are ideal for her? This is the part that makes me the most nervous. I was given the impression that she could cruise around outside all day and even live outside at night if I had a heat lamp but don't want her outside at night.

Also, do they like to be held? She seems to enjoy being scratched on the head and her shell and when I sit on the grass she heads straight over to me....how much human contact do they like?

Thank you so much. I want to do this right so she can have a happy, healthy life!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. No they don't need uv if outside a lot. The puppy play pen sounds fine. However, the screen/mesh top will block most of the uv from coming through. So you would need to provide artificial uv or place a larger mesh, like chicken wire over the pen. Yes, provide a hide and water. Depending on size//they can stay outside 24/7. About 8 inches or larger is best, then anything smaller. I don't know the temps RF need, but the do need a higher humidity without being kept on a wet substrate. As for handling, each tort is different. Most don't really like being held or picked up but getting to their level and giving a scratch or letting them come to you is fine. Hope I helped, others will too.

Layla

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome. No they don't need uv if outside a lot. The puppy play pen sounds fine. However, the screen/mesh top will block most of the uv from coming through. So you would need to provide artificial uv or place a larger mesh, like chicken wire over the pen. Yes, provide a hide and water. Depending on size//they can stay outside 24/7. About 8 inches or larger is best, then anything smaller. I don't know the temps RF need, but the do need a higher humidity without being kept on a wet substrate. As for handling, each tort is different. Most don't really like being held or picked up but getting to their level and giving a scratch or letting them come to you is fine. Hope I helped, others will too.

Thank you! That was a help!
Layla

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello, redfoots require humidity. As far as uva/uvb rays if your tort is outdoors all day in natural sunshine. Really there is no need for indoor lighting. Unless they are in for the winter. You will need to build something more secure for outdoors. The best place for info on redfoots is the tortoise library. There is a link for it under my signature....

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
if the bottom of the pen is not solid the tort MAY try to climb the wall and flip over which is more or less a death sentence for a redfoot in full sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.