Newbie with Questions - Leopard Tort Eggs

Makenna88

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello,

I am new to this forum. Hoping you experts could give me some advice please. I have 3 California desert and a pair of leopard torts. My big leopard girl that has been with me for more than 20 years started laying eggs in August. I have a total of 24 eggs so far. A couple of the eggs from August is completely “solid” when candling, what does that mean? Sone eggs have “chalking” on top and bottom half of these eggs are orangey red color, does this mean these are fertile eggs? I assume the ones don’t have chalking are not fertile, yes? Eggs are being incubated at 86-88 degrees at 70-80% humidity. Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Happy Birthday. Welcome to the forum. I really can not answer your question though. I will leave that for someone more experienced.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Happy Birthday! and welcome to the Forum!

The eggs that have chalked are most likely fertile and the orangey red is probably the yolk that has settled to the bottom. I keep my eggs nestled in a bed of moist vermiculite and lightly covered with sphagnum moss, at about 88F degrees. Once the eggs have been placed into the incubator, don't change their orientation. I generally write the date I put them into the incubator on the top of the eggs so I know which is 'top' and that way I don't turn them.