Newbie with no Tortoise experience :)

Jag00

Hi folks. Firstly let me start by saying I have zero experience with Tortoises. My family and I are currently living in a large residential compound in The Arabian Peninsula.

I recently almost ran over this little fellow...
IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

He was busy running down the road on a part of the compound that is mostly desert.

A quick google confirmed that there are no native species in this part of the world, so I suspect he is an escaped pet or has been dumped by another family.

I have several questions to ask if I may.
1. Can anyone tell me what type of tortoise he/she is?
2. Given which type, can I get advice on what I should do with him/her? Keep him, return it to the desert etc?
3. Assuming the advice is to keep it, how should we treat it. Appropriate food, living conditions, temperature tolerances etc. ( currently it is hitting 41C at mid day, so it will be 50C ) and it will be very dry for the next 6 months.

Thanks for reading my post and for any advice you can give.

John

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
This is an aquatic turtle, so definitely don't return it to the desert. My aquatic id skills aren't great, so I can't say the species, but this is not a tortoise.

If you post a clear photo of the face and one of the underside (the plastron), an id will be easier.

Jag00

Thanks for the quick response Sarah.

Here's the best shot of his/her face I can get ( a little shy :) ) and the under belly.

IMG_3838.JPG IMG_3835.JPG

Jag00

@SarahChelonoidis assuming it is a Florida Chicken Turtle, what's the best living conditions/food? We have a large duck pond near the house that is landscaped and grassed with lots of shelter or a fully enclosed back yard.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
They're carnivores and would do well in a pond (assuming they can easily get out to basking spots) http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-chicken_turtle.htm

I would not put a turtle that has been dry docked in a deep pond right away though. Temporarily, provide shallow water (so the tortoise can rehydrate but with no risk of drowning).

@Yvonne G will have good advice here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

After you've kept it in a shallow bucket of water for a day or so, you can take him to the pond.

Jag00

Welcome!

After you've kept it in a shallow bucket of water for a day or so, you can take him to the pond.

Thanks @Yvonne G, @Grandpa Turtle 144 and @SarahChelonoidis. Just checked out the pond and found loads of mates for our speedy and lots of gentle slopes for him to get in and out. Bucket of water tomorrow and then time to resettle before my two youngsters grow too attached :):tort::)

Jag00

Okay, so after chatting with everyone on this forum and listening to your excellent advice, we gave 'Speed' a little bath for half of the day and then dropped him off in is new home...IMG_3839.JPG
He seemed very happy and dove straight into the water.

Gus.

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!

4wzAwVa.gif