newbie with new eastern boxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanzim

5 Year Member
Hello all,

We already own a Russian named Stan Lee, and today we were given an eastern box turtle by my son's friend. I do not know where they got her, and all he could tell me was that they themselves got her from a friend. When I asked him what they feed her, he answered "tomatoes."
I do know generally what she needs, but would like some specific advice on diet and housing, specifically what substrate to use for her indoor enclosure. How much different, besides the dietary differences, are box turtles from Russians? She seems very outgoing and friendly, but it looks like she has some shell issues. Not shell rot, but more of a slight caving and/or pyramiding in some areas. I will post some pictures as soon as I have any. Thanks for any advice.

Sandy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). The boxie members can help you more then I can. Hold on they will be around soon.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Sandy and welcome to the TFO And where are you from that you want to put the boxy in side?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I just got boxies,they love earth worms,cooked chicken cucumber,tomatos,watermelone,fruits anf vaggies

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
For an enclosure plan like a 6x3 foot or bigger if you can enclosure, they def like he room, and are rather persistent at trying to escape of they arnt comfy. Substrate I use plain garden soil, as a moss mix, I found that they like deep substrate I always say 7-9 inches more if you can, they love to dig and burrow. The deeper substrate also Helps with humidity, just soak and moisten all the layers and when it starts drying out you can flip an mist them. They like high humidity, and love "rain" I mist mine every day. I use a 1 gallon sprayer you will find the hand ones will give you hand cramps because its a lot of misting. If you can put love plants and a big water dish enough for the box turtle to fully soak in but easy enough to get in and out. They love water. Basking light and UVB are required like a tortoise, a warm basking area is good like 90-95 and an ambient of 75-80. The temps can drop below 70 even 60 they are pretty cold tolerant especially if it warms up in the day.

As far as diet. They love worms, snails, nigh crawlers, crickets, and other forms of protein. They will eat veggies and fruit but some will rarely or refuse to eat veggies or fruit, gotta kind of train them to eat them sometimes. I always do about

75 percent protein, 15 percent veggies, and 10 percent fruit. Mixing it up is always good.

As far as

sanzim

5 Year Member
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Sandy and welcome to the TFO And where are you from that you want to put the boxy in side?

I only plan on keeping her inside during the winter. We are in VA, and I can keep her in an outdoor enclosure during the warmer months. My son and I already got a good portion of it done today, all that's missing is "furniture" and plants. :) As for her winter home, I ordered 2 Zoo Med tortoise houses we can put together to make a 6x2, not the biggest, but all I have room for inside.

sanzim

5 Year Member
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
I just got boxies,they love earth worms,cooked chicken cucumber,tomatos,watermelone,fruits anf vaggies

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Thanks. What parts of the chicken do you feed them? The breast meat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Sandy!

sanzim

5 Year Member
Thanks so much, Millerlite, I appreciate the detailed response. Do you just go find the snails and stuff outside? I know some if the worms and things we can get at the store, but I have not seen snails or slugs there. What are night crawlers, some sort of worm as well? I do not like bugs and slimy things, but my sons will gladly gather whatever they can outside :D

Status
Not open for further replies.