Newbie with a tortoise

L

Leonnie

Hello everyone. I'm new, I have what I think is a juvenile Russian tortoise. I adopted him from a family, he was their son's pet. I actually know very little and have been doing a lot of research over the last few days on how to properly take care of him, but it's not really helping me so anyone with some advice or tips for me it would be greatly appreciated

If this helps with the advise I live in tenerife so it is hot here all year round. At the moment I think he's living in a fish tank (came with him when I adopted him. I am getting him something bigger ASAP!) I have half organic soil and treated wood chip as substrate.

Also, if anyone knows why his shell is white at the bottom or could give just an idea of what it could be as I have looked it up and all I can find is it could be from hard water but I dont want to just assume he's fine when he actually needs a trip to the vet.

I will add a photo so you can see the little guy

Thank you in advance to any help/advice

Attachments

• 20210815_110116.jpg
    20210815_110116.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
His shell is white at the bottom, the ring that goes around is new growth.
Be sure to do all research on this forum only. We have all the current and correct info
Russians are diggers and climbers so be sure you address those issues when building a new enclosure. He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. He needs a basking spot of 95-100F with over all temps 75-80 and night temps can drop as low as 60. Be sure if housed outside he has lots of shade and water always available.
Read our caresheet and then ask more questions if you have any.

L

Leonnie

His shell is white at the bottom, the ring that goes around is new growth.
Be sure to do all research on this forum only. We have all the current and correct info
Russians are diggers and climbers so be sure you address those issues when building a new enclosure. He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. He needs a basking spot of 95-100F with over all temps 75-80 and night temps can drop as low as 60. Be sure if housed outside he has lots of shade and water always available.
Read our caresheet and then ask more questions if you have any.
Thank you so much admittedly I didnt see the thread that said read this before you post ?‍♀️ I have alot of reading todo then ill most likely be back as I get confused easily

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much admittedly I didnt see the thread that said read this before you post ?‍♀️ I have alot of reading todo then ill most likely be back as I get confused easily
It is a lot of info to take in. I was totally confused too when I first started out and even times now as some things have changed.
My trick was to read it through. Then reread as I went thru and made changes needed. Like reading an instruction sheet step by step.
You will still have questions and maybe some confusion but our answers will click faster

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks to me as if the previous owners were spraying tap water on the shell, and the white you see is, like you thought, hard water stain. You can rub a bit of cold pressed coconut oil onto the shell, allow it to sit for a few minutes, then polish it off with a soft, absorbent cloth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone. I'm new, I have what I think is a juvenile Russian tortoise. I adopted him from a family, he was their son's pet. I actually know very little and have been doing a lot of research over the last few days on how to properly take care of him, but it's not really helping me so anyone with some advice or tips for me it would be greatly appreciated

If this helps with the advise I live in tenerife so it is hot here all year round. At the moment I think he's living in a fish tank (came with him when I adopted him. I am getting him something bigger ASAP!) I have half organic soil and treated wood chip as substrate.

Also, if anyone knows why his shell is white at the bottom or could give just an idea of what it could be as I have looked it up and all I can find is it could be from hard water but I dont want to just assume he's fine when he actually needs a trip to the vet.

I will add a photo so you can see the little guy

Thank you in advance to any help/advice
Hello and welcome.

Here is the current and correct care info:

Questions are welcome! :)

L

Leonnie

I dont know how to thank you all separately and I will be reading though the bits highlighted above to make sure the little guy has the best care I will be back to ask questions as I live in a hot climate all year round and will need help with the adjustments that will be required. I will give the coconut oil and try and update ? oh and as I didnt write it earlier hello everyone i'm leonnie and I have a Russian tortoise called Terrace (my partner named him) ?

TisMary

New York
I dont know how to thank you all separately and I will be reading though the bits highlighted above to make sure the little guy has the best care I will be back to ask questions as I live in a hot climate all year round and will need help with the adjustments that will be required. I will give the coconut oil and try and update ? oh and as I didnt write it earlier hello everyone i'm leonnie and I have a Russian tortoise called Terrace (my partner named him) ?
Hello @Leonnie - thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn about Tenerife! ? Sounds like Terrace is in better hands now. Good for you! Keep up the good work. ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Welcome to the forum. Lots of info to take in, but there are Russian tort owners all over the world who are members to this forum & you'll find the most updated info here. And boy, do we love photos!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to the forum ? I have a little Russian too. It is quite a bit to read and get used to using here on the forum but it's worth it. And keep in touch anyway in the meantime..