Newbie- why is my tortoise is burying himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAL101271

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I just got my speedy about 3 weeks ago from someone off craigslist in our town. When I got him he looked healthy and active. After we got home and got him settled i noticed that a regular light bulb was being used so I bought $100.00 uvb + heat light. He won't eat leafy greens or any yummy veggies I feed him, just the store bought food . He seems to bury himself all day whith his head out at times and only eat about 2 times a week . I think He drinks, poops normal. Heat is at 80-82 in day with a basking of 92ish. I mist him ,has a hide and a large habitate. Also when I feed him I have to get him interested in the food by using a small mealworm, then he will eat. When I put him outside he goes fom the sun to the fence/shade area. I have done TONS of research and I feel that I am doing everything right. Is he just getting used to the move or is there something wrong?????

Bow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
SAL101271 said:
Hi everyone! I just got my speedy about 3 weeks ago from someone off craigslist in our town. When I got him he looked healthy and active. After we got home and got him settled i noticed that a regular light bulb was being used so I bought $100.00 uvb + heat light. He won't eat leafy greens or any yummy veggies I feed him, just the store bought food . He seems to bury himself all day whith his head out at times and only eat about 2 times a week . I think He drinks, poops normal. Heat is at 80-82 in day with a basking of 92ish. I mist him ,has a hide and a large habitate. Also when I feed him I have to get him interested in the food by using a small mealworm, then he will eat. When I put him outside he goes fom the sun to the fence/shade area. I have done TONS of research and I feel that I am doing everything right. Is he just getting used to the move or is there something wrong?????

What kind of tortoise/turtle is he?
What kind of substrate?
What's the set up like?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What kind of tortoise did you get? Russian tortoises love to burrow its just what they do. Species is a must know. If its not a Russian it could be too warm but 92 is good. And welcome!

SAL101271

5 Year Member
Bow said:
SAL101271 said:

What kind of tortoise/turtle is he?
What kind of substrate?
What's the set up like?

He is a cherry Head . I am using subsitrae with an enclosure if 3 ft by 1 1/2 ft

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
SAL101271 said:
He is a cherry Head . I am using subsitrae with an enclosure if 3 ft by 1 1/2 ft

What type of substrate though? Sand, wood chips, coco husks, cypress mulch, sphagnum moss? If people know exactly what the enclosure is like it makes helping way easier.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep. And 92 is warm for cherry head of dry. Need to make sure and keep him moist and humidity up. Coco coir is going to be the best substrate for redfoots. I see this a lot in redfoots if kept too dry and warm.

SAL101271

5 Year Member
Bow said:
SAL101271 said:

What type of substrate though? Sand, wood chips, coco husks, cypress mulch, sphagnum moss? If people know exactly what the enclosure is like it makes helping way easier.

I'm sorry for not being specific enough. Like I said I' new to this. I know it has coconut husk with a fine grade of substrate. Enclosure is a plexiglass reptile enclosure. I have a soakingm spot at one end with the basking =uvb light then the hide is in the middle toward the cool end. How often do they eat?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
A basking spot of 92ºF would be okay for a redfoot, but if the entire enclosure is at 92 you may consider bumping it down to the mid 80's instead (83-86ºF would probably be more comfortable for your little one).

Substrate preferences are subjective and really depend on the users preferences and/or needs. I like cypress mulch and organic soil, others praise coco coir, and some use mixtures of everything. As for the borrowing, my two cherryheads do this in their hides too, but yours may be trying to escape the excess heat if the entire enclosure is 92 throughout. Burrowing isn't abnormal for these guys so long as the substrate is soft enough for them to get into it - they aren't the best diggers.

SAL101271

5 Year Member
I am using coconut husk with fine grade substrate. soaking area at one end withheat +uvb light and hide at other end.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Feed him greens, endive, hibiscus flowers, and mazuri Tory chow few times a week. Also some protein as redfoots are omnivores. Canned snails, earth worms crickets, about every 10 days. Make sure and place the water bowl away from the basking spot so he can bask of he wants. And keep it real humid. Spray him down twice a day. Also do you know the temp on the cool side? And does he have a good hide? He might just want to hidden. Torts love to hide.

SAL101271

5 Year Member
Temp on the cool side is about 74ish in the middle where his hide is about 80ish and a baking spot of about 92ish. He likes to stick his head out most of the day and is alert. Eyes clear. Nose clear. And no sounds. I put food out everyday in the morning but he only eats a few times aweek .Is that normal? Also, When I let him out he does roam but in his enclosure not so much. Is that normal too?I am new to the torts and I am all ways fussing over him. Not bothering him or anything just lookin,and misting, . Are they pretty durable.I live in Oregon so I'm wondering if the people who had him befor didn't heat him well so maybe hes not used to the warmth. He is sure a cute lil guy and I just wwant him happy. I also have a Great Dane, Pug, hamster, Toad, and fish so I'm not new to taking care of pets. I also do it well so any info to help ensure a happy, healthy tort would be great. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi sal101271:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I don't keep redfoot tortoises, but having seen quite a few RF habitats here on the forum, I'm thinking your habitat is maybe too small, and too sparse. You need to get the biggest container you can afford and place lots of plants in it...either plastic plants or real ones. The plants have a two-fold purpose: they provide many hiding places throughout the habitat, and they keep more moisture in the air.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
I have 6 cherry 2 yearling 2 4 year olds and 2 10 year olds. And I can tell you all 6 love to bury themselves in the Coco Coir...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
If your redfoot is very young, he's going to hunker down and hide a lot. This kind of behavior would prevent him from getting eaten in the wild. As he grows, he will likely dig less and spend more time out and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.