Newbie to the forum.

Raggedyman85

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol(UK)
Hey everybody. New to the forum but I've had a look at different posts in the background for a little while now.
Currently have a 2½year old leopard tort and a 3 year old Greek spur.
Both very confident friendly torts with lots of character and huge appetites. Currently trying to decide whether to get another Leo or whether to make the jump to a Sulcata(always been my dream tortoise and I finally have room for one or two to have adequate housing as adults). Looking forward to joining chats and learning more about these amazing critters.
Paul.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Greetings & welcome!
Go for the sulcata you won't be dissapointed IMHO.

Raggedyman85

Bristol(UK)
That's what my heart is leaning towards. I'm in the UK so it's taken years of consideration and waiting to have enough room for an outdoor heated enclosure. I'm 34 and have been waiting since the age of 13/14 when I first got into reptiles. It's not something I've taken lightly as I've wanted to get it right. Now I just need to find one lol.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I gotta imagine they are hard to come by in the UK.

Raggedyman85

Bristol(UK)
Usually there are loads available and they are usually the cheapest species to buy which bothers me because of the care involved and the size they reach.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Usually there are loads available and they are usually the cheapest species to buy which bothers me because of the care involved and the size they reach.

You are exactly right! Would you consider adopting from a rescue center? There are MANY who need good homes. They May have got bought on a whim and then became too much for the individual to handle or simply circumstances changed for an owner.... it’s always something to consider.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Sulcatas in the UK are pretty much the cheapest to buy. But Paul, please think about rehoming an adult/juvenile. The TPG has so many tortoises looking for homes. I’m hoping to re-home another tort soon, I really have a soft spot for Redfoot’s and I have seen about 5 looking for new homes, but I’m not sure I can give them the best conditions in the UK.

Raggedyman85

Bristol(UK)
You are exactly right! Would you consider adopting from a rescue center? There are MANY who need good homes. They May have got bought on a whim and then became too much for the individual to handle or simply circumstances changed for an owner.... it’s always something to consider.
Yes I would but near me I wouldn't even know where to look for a rescue.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
That is the curse of the sulcata, hardy & prolific breeders.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
I only have one leopard and he has his own adapted room as he too big for a table or viv. I have even been considering moving house to give him a bigger garden, so a sully would need a huge area.
There is a sanctuary called The International Tortoise Association in a place appropriately called Sully which is not far from Penarth in South Wales, just across the R. Severn from you.
They rehome and I know they have Sullies there. When I visited on an open day I was quite shocked to see the small area that several were being housed in so you would be doing one of them a huge favour if you can provide a new home in a lovely big space. They also had lots of leopards in a small space too.
There is also the British Association of Tortoise Keepers (BATK) based in Leamington Spa who rehome.
Bear in mind though that, as you know from keeping a leopard, it isn't cheap to feed and heat them overwinter in the UK and because you can't mix species or keep them in pairs, a sully would need its own heated accommodation so it would be a lot of extra cost and work....lots to consider.

Last edited:

Raggedyman85

Bristol(UK)
Hi and welcome.
I only have one leopard and he has his own adapted room as he too big for a table or viv. I have even been considering moving house to give him a bigger garden, so a sully would need a huge area.
There is a sanctuary called The International Tortoise Association in a place appropriately called Sully which is not far from Penarth in South Wales, just across the R. Severn from you.
They rehome and I know they have Sullies there. When I visited on an open day I was quite shocked to see the small area that several were being housed in so you would be doing one of them a huge favour if you can provide a new home in a lovely big space. They also had lots of leopards in a small space too.
There is also the British Association of Tortoise Keepers (BATK) based in Leamington Spa who rehome.
Bear in mind though that, as you know from keeping a leopard, it isn't cheap to feed and heat them overwinter in the UK and because you can't mix species or keep them in pairs, a sully would need its own heated accommodation so it would be a lot of extra cost and work....lots to consider.
My plan is for a heated 5x4 indoor area and then it would have access to the whole garden. I've been waiting a long time to have enough space to have indoor housing large enough for the winter months in the UK.