Newbie: Russian tortoise care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash2013

5 Year Member
I am a new parent to my lil guy and just like all parents I read posts and comments re: so many of my cares/concerns to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. It just dawned on me that we can educate ourselves with a general knowledge base, but in the big picture we will be able to care for them best by viewing their individual behavior. There is a trial and error process based on your own torts personality. So, if you are like me...a newbie parent... Listen and pay attention to your kid and don't be so hard on yourself. ~~sigh~~
[TURTLE][GREEN HEART]

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The trial and error part is largely determining what good foods your Russian enjoys most. Some will eat everything placed in their food bowl; others will be quite picky.

They all need a good temperature range; good lighting for bone development; water available at all times; a safe large place to roam; several places to hide; a balanced diet; and substrate that will hold moisture and be deep enough to burrow.

Good luck and keep asking questions. Its a good way to learn what's best for your tort. Also, use the search feature here on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.