Newbie question-hibernation

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Newbie question

Sone say it helps with breeding, but I have seen others say it doesn't have any effect at all. Hibernating is not necessary.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
There is absolutely no way to know the answer to this question and anyone who says it is not necessary or it does not matter is simply repeating what they have heard and works for their comfort level (in my opinion that is)....evolution has deemed certain species this behavior and for us simple humans to think we know better is well, just silly (to put it politely)....

If a person is not comfortable with allowing a species to perform all of the cycles in their make up, which sometimes includes brumation then perhaps they should take up shop with a species that does not....but to force a species that naturally brumates to not do so...is simply cruel (again, in my opinion).

Research is a handy thing...it is a thing that can offer up confidence and skill in learning new things....there are a lot of articles on the issue of brumation and they can offer information to help prepare someone to learn what it is to buffer for a tort species to perform its natural functions and reap all the benefits available....:D

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-38255.html

Here is a forum prior thread that will give you some good information and will show just how sensitive this very topic can be...you are the host of your tort and will be the one to acquire an educated opinion...which ever way you decide.