Newbie owner of a horsfield tortoise.

anj

Hi guys, I'm Anj I'm new to all this. VERY SORRY BUT THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG ONE...

My partner and I did some research on tortoise before we got one and we took the advise from the lady in the pet shop on how to set up everything. So feeling confident that we got everything and know what we are doing from the advice from the lady in the garden centre. It was time.

On the 18th of June I got a horsfield. He was at the time (20th June) 12cm long and weighted 393g. At first all seemed ok. Looking around he's run and climbing the log and sliding down the other side. And putting him out side to run around which he also loved. My partner built a run for him outside to so when the dogs are out he goes in there. Obv on nice days.

He has a lamp that does heat and UVB/UVA . Under light it's 33/34 and the other side on the run it's 20/21.

The thing is, when he's inside he sleeps a lot and I don't feel he eats a great deal either. My partner has seen him eat dandelion leaves and lettuces to. I have got him to eat a courgette pieces. I have put some carrot to. But he didn't touch them. So I started to feed him strawberry and also a bit of banana, which he likes just to get him to eat abit more. He's also had a bit of kale to. The problem is 10 days later we weighted him and he has lost weight. Down to 362g. Feeling rather panicky now. I'm not sure what to do. My partner thinks that it could be the exercise that made him loss the weight because he was in this tiny glass tank in the shop with no where to go. But I don't know. The lady in the shop he should be eat more than that. (Since the purchase of Sheldon I've been back into the shop to ask more questions and tell her my concerns for him and on how to get him to eat and it was her suggestion to give him strawberry and banana to get him to eat more as it has a sweet smell and taste) the lady also said that she will order in some worming stuff as this could be the problem and maybe need to clear out.......

Also when I asked the lady how often should I bathe him and she said once every two weeks. So when I got him I managed to bath him for 10 minutes but I don't think he liked it as he was trying to escape all the time. And I didn't do it again until about a week and a bit later, I'm kinda of though that this had something to do with that he needs to bathe more now to eat more. So I did it again and for the first time saw Sheldon eat and he would do this in front of me where as before if Sheldon caught me looking at him he would shy away in to he's shell. So now I've been &will be bathing him everyday. Hoping this would make him eat more.

This question is how often should I be bathing Sheldon. The shop seemed to think was he was 2-3 years old. But didn't know. And how warm should the water be? I have been doing it warm not Luke warm. Trying to make it. So he's them same temp under the light not hot thou.

Also how much food do you think I should give him everyday?

My partner has seen him poo every day so that I don't think is a problem but has only seen him wee once which was white toothpaste looking.

I write this at the risk of sound rather stupid and thick but we did ask questions about what to do and we did research the internet and to be honest I find it very disappointing that every website we have looked at gives different and sometime conflicting advice can't find anywhere that tells us how often I should bath a tort at the age of 2-3... So I look to you guys with the experience and no how to tell us what to do.

Eyes, nose, tail, shell etc all look fine and clean. I will post some pic up if I can work out how to do it. Once again sorry it's a very long one to read and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Anj ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404065206.557395.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404065223.288591.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404065234.559604.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404065258.204489.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404065288.891453.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404065307.958662.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'll give you a link to Russian tortoise care that you can trust, even though it may be contrary to other sites:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

747117wei24kafiu.gif

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I bath my horsfield every couple of days, in warm water. He may have lost weight due to being dehydrated. My horsfield doesn't like being bathed either, he usually tries to climb out, but does prefer the water to be quite warm. Also make sure what you are using to bath him in isn't see through and he can't see over the sides, as Russians are known to be escape artists and if he thinks he can see a way out they will not give up trying. As mine doesn't like bathing too much, I usually bathe him first thing, before he has basked under his light and woken up properly, this minimises him trying to climb out so much. He has been ill and on anti biotics (he's better now :) and when he was poorly the vet had me bathing him twice a day, in an electrolyte solution. So don't worry about bathing him too much, you can't really.

anj

Thank you guys, I have been worried. With weight loss that quickly I did start to wonder if he was that Ill . I just find it a real shame that all these websites give you different information and I could end up harming Sheldon. All you want to do is give the correct care they deserve.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long essay. Just wondered if it was worth worming Sheldon anyway? And what are the signs if he did have worms anyone?

Thanks again

Anj